DHCP not working in Packet tracer?

Discussion in 'General Cisco Certifications' started by zr79, Feb 10, 2009.

1. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

In packet tracer, if you have say 2 PCs connected to a switch and the switch connected to a router and you set both the Gateway and DNS ips and the Fastethernet ip on both PCs to DCHP and then try and ping one PC from the other it gives you the error, "PC(x) has no functional ports". But if i manually assign both PCs static IPs then it works fine ?

Certifications: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Do you have a DHCP server configured?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Ok i am a bit vague on a DHCP server it is an actual PC and i can set this up in Packet tracer....i must have assumed that the operating system supplied DHCP for a LAN?

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No... a DHCP server supplies dynamic IP addressing services for a LAN.

I mean no offense when I say this... but looking at the questions you are posting on the forum, you're waaaaay ahead of what you need to be studying in order to get a solid foundation of IT knowledge. Trying to learn Cisco before understanding the basics of DHCP and the difference between peer-to-peer and client/server networks is like trying to become a surgeon before understanding the basics of biology. Have you considered pursuing the A+ and Network+?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. John Neerdael

John Neerdael Nibble Poster

Depending on your type of router it might have a dhcp server builtin. A client operating system doesnt assign itself ip (although it can, lookup APIPA if you want to know more about that but this is not with a dhcp server). In packet tracer you can just drag a server from the End Devices list and in it's config setup DHCP in there to get a running DHCP server on your network, keep in mind that DHCP uses 4 steps (Discover, Offer, Request & Ack), The discover & request are broadcasts and routers do not forward broadcasts. So if you place the server in another network segment behind your router your dhcp will not work unless you install a dhcp relay agent.

Make sure you set your clients ip addressing on dhcp (standard they are on static)

This is how you can deploy your network on packet tracer:
    [​IMG]
    - You'll need to add fast ethernet port modules for copper wire on your switch
    - You'll need to setup the server to act as a dhcp server, tell it what start ip address it should use and how many ip's it should be able to hand out
    - You'll need to go to the config's of your workstations and set there nic on dhcp

After this you can go to the command prompt on your workstations and they should now have a IP of the range you told it to get a ip from. Lookup on youtube.com for some basic packet tracer tutorials

Read more about dhcp: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dhcp

WIP: MCTS: 70-640
  6. zr79

zr79 Byte Poster

Excellent, i got all that, working fine, thanks..

7. Askalany

Askalany New Member

You may use the dhcp server implemented in the router from the CLI.

enter the CLI of the router:

1- enter the cofiguration : #config t
    2- setting a DHCP pool : #ip dhcp pool (name of pool)
    3- setting a gateway for this pool : #default-router (gateway_ip)
    4- setting the pool starting IP : #network (starting_ip) (subnetmask)
    5- Assigning the gateway IP to the router port of the desigerd subnet.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009