devil's advocate Brain Dumps

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Ence, Aug 3, 2009.

1. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Googling mock question for exam most hits back have Pass-Guaranteed !

When you was or are studying what stop you from downloading a brain dumps.

A high % of people use bumps, If there study hard and put the time in and use dump to help understand the way Microsoft word there questions is this wrong?

Obviously it wrong just to learn answers and not to know why that's the answer.

This should go well

2. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

In reality, its wrong simply because the companies (MS, Cisco etc) simply say it is not allowed, therefore it's wrong.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Put shortly, if you pass an exam by just memorising the answers to the questions you are going to be asked ahead of time, you don't know how to do your job. There are dozens of other arguments against braindumps but this is the main one as far as I'm concerned.

Braindump = fail

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

What stopped me? Simple, Pride.

Im one of those people who has to do things the right way, and to the best of my ability. I pride myself at being good at what I do, and working hard for what I have. Braindumps go against everything I believe, to be honest.*

*That may sound abit extreme, but its just the way I have been brought up.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Here's why:

http://www.transcender.com/gen.aspx?pf=page&sn=tra_braindumpsec

Incidentally, Transcender also offer a money back guarantee if you fail - but that's not the same as saying that you will pass 100%, it's just a measure of their confidence in their product.

In short, dumping is cheating pure and simple.

That will bother some people but won't deter others in the slightest.
    If you're happy to do that and still think you've achieved something worth having, whilst being totally oblivious to the people around you who have worked hard for their certs which you're helping to devalue, then carry on.

As long as we live in a world where people will pay others to go and sit their driving tests for them and buy Phds from Nigeria then there is always going to be a market for this sort of thing.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

... and from Certguard :

What is wrong with brain dumps?

Back when a braindump was a 'Brain Dump', they weren't as harmful. Were they illegal? Maybe they were, maybe they weren't. By today's standards, YES they were illegal, but many Certification Vendors hadn't put those standards into place until AFTER the number of thefts was truly visible, hence the reason for the Non-Disclosure Agreements that we are all forced to read today.

Then, in 1995, a company came along that screwed up our entire Certification world. They took braindumping to a new level by mass producing thousands upon thousands of certification questions from multiple certification vendors and selling them to unsuspecting candidates at an unbelievably LOW price.

Braindump users have compromised the IT Industry by reducing the value of certifications. Exam takers without solid IT experience are artificially passing exams to better their chances of employment in the industry. Unfortunately, as they become employed they do not provide companies with competant skill sets. This in turn makes them less valuable and reduces the salary IT workers are paid. Ultimately this makes the hard won certificatons by legitimate test takers with solid skills and experience suffer.

Sadly, many IT jobs have been outsourced to substandard workers at lower wages. To get their foot in the door they use braindumps to achieve certifications. No one wins in this situation. The company suffers and when the company suffers so do the outsourced workers.

Braindumps hurt everyone. We are dedicated to changing this through education and action.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Why should I stay away from Braindumps?

You can lose your Certifications
    You can be banned from taking any other exams
    You will not benefit from their use
    You will be caught if you use braindumps, it's only a matter of time
    Braindumps are a clear violation of the certification Non-Disclosure Agreement
    Braindumps hinder your ability to learn the material
    If you have the exam questions ahead of time, you'll be less motivated to learn the material
    The information is shoddy, at best, and cannot be trusted
    The information is often old and out of date
    The claim "actual exam questions" is rarely true
    The information provided in braindumps is only the information that could be remembered
    If you've ever searched out or asked for braindumps, there are records of it
    If you've ever passed dumps on to others, there are records of it
    The sources that the dumps are derived from are inconsistent
    Braindumps do not teach you how to solve the problems that are normally seen in the IT Field
    Braindumps hurt everyone around you
    Braindumps devalue the Certifications that knowledgeable IT Professionals have studied so hard to attain

Says it all really

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  7. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm the same as nXPLOSi. I don't really think about any other reason not to use them other than to me its cheating, and I was brought up to think cheating is the lowest of the low.

I don't think I could cheat because I'd start doubting myself, my ability and knowledge. I've failed a few exams as can be seen on CF but I learned a lot from my failures. I knew what areas I was weak in, went away, studied more on specific areas and passed the exams. This gave me more of a buzz than the exams I passed first time!

I agree with zeb, Braindump = Epic Fail ha ha

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Gonna have to agree with Zeb here. This is also my main reason against braindumping.

There's absolutely no point in using braindumps to assist you in taking an exam. The whole point of taking an exam in the first place is to test your ability to solve problems. If you memorize the answers and can't resolve relevant issues when they arise (E.G. in your job, or technical tests for interviews) then you're screwed. Simple as.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  9. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

what your option not some C&P from a website!

I did say if a student has worked hard and put the time in and use dumps just to help understand the way Microsoft word there questions is this wrong?

Is it cheating ? 1/2 the battle is trying to work out what Microsoft is asking in the question !

you must have been temped at some time

10. Qs

Of course it's still cheating!

To justify using a braindump because you 'wanted to be sure you understood the wording' is ridiculous. Exams are still written in English, damnit!

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Put it this way, the brain dumpers will be found out when their employer asks them to perform a simple task.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

If I walk into a patently anti-BD community, and ask them if its wrong to BD (despite having been around long enough to know the standpoint), am I trolling?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  13. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Not if there studied the subject matter

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Legitimate practice exams like Transcender, Boson and MeasureUp all mimic the look, feel and layout of actual exams so there is no argument for needing to become familiar with MS terminology etc.

And No.

BUT - I would add, especially for those new to certifications, that BD sites can be quite tempting with their gaudy promises of success, guarantees, aggressive marketing, low prices, false testimonials and statements along the lines of 'THIS IS NOT A BRAINDUMP SITE!!!'

15. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Everyone slips up sooner or later. Point is brain dumping is cheating, no matter how you look at it.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  16. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Either that or bored...

Or feeling guilty and looking for forgiveness...

:rolleyes:

17. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Yes, it is still very, very wrong.

Why? A braindump directs you to the answer, without needing any knowledge of the theory behind it.

A lot of people complain about how convoluted the wording in M$ exam questions is. At first, I thought it was unnecessarily obstructive, but then think about it in a more logical vein.

In a working environment, are all questions, helpdesk related or not, going to be thrown at you in a straightforward manner? Is the crucial information you need to glean going to be glaringly obvious, each time you are given a task to work on?

Not on your nelly. The wording in the M$ exams, whilst not replicating real life, sure as damn shows you how it could be, and it's up to you as a good tech, not only to know the answer, but know why the question is being asked, and therefore WHY it's the right answer.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  18. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

But if they truly studied the subject matter, they wouldn't need a braindump.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  19. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

I'm sure you wouldn't use braindumps Ence as you've put a lot of effort into your 291 studies. If you are asking why people think about using them, I'd say its because their too lazy to put the hard graft in like we have. I don't think about why or if people use them, I just get my own house in order and study like a demon to be the best IT Pro I can be. Do you have any mock exam questions for 291? Preplogic's are pretty good IMO, Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  20. Qs

Reading my mind.

Qs