Desktop Tech Cert Sees Light of Day

Discussion in 'News' started by SimonV, Oct 13, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

[​IMG]<font size="3">Desktop Tech Cert Sees Light of Day </font>
    Microsoft introduces new certification, MCDST, and two new exams aimed at help desk and desktop support experts.

Microsoft has released a new title, Microsoft Certified Desktop Support Technician, aimed at desktop support personnel whose main job role is to troubleshoot user desktop machines. The MCDST requires the passage of two new exams:

• 70-271, Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Windows Desktop Operating Systems
    • 70-272, Supporting Users and Troubleshooting Applications on a Windows Desktop Operating System Platform
    Microsoft has yet to release any details about the exams, but the requirements guide (click here) provides clues to Microsoft Learning courses and self-study training kits that will be available for them. Microsoft was unable to comment in time for this story.

Full Story: mcpmag.com

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
porta2_tags:

Comments

1. tripwire45
      tripwire45
      Waitaminute...everything's getting hazy...I'm so confused...dizzy...another set of Microsoft certifications...how could any normal person keep up. I feel faint... :confused2
    2. flex22
      flex22
      I'm confused. :apl
    3. SimonV
      SimonV
      Do you think these Certs will be of any use in todays IT enviroment?
    4. Sandy
      Sandy
      I can't see this one taking off
    5. Phil
      Phil
      I welcome them, if helpdesk staff get trained and certified we may stand a fighting chance of fewer stupid calls getting through and so be able to get on with stuff that needs doing (like sitting back with a brew an computer weekly :) )
    6. Sandy
      Sandy
      Phil

Do you think a cert is going to help helpdesk staff filter the "silly calls" getting through :?: You could argue that a MOS or an ECDL for the user would help also :!:
    7. Phil
      Phil
      Sandy,

I know what you mean, I think it depends how the cert is obtained and the attitude of the company running the helpdesk. I think if the cert is studied, understood and not just treated as a bit of wallpaper it will go a long way towards filtering out the "silly calls". The mos or ecdl for every user would be a great idea but I don't suppose that's practical in terms of cost. If the people who used excel round here actually learned to use it properly life would be much simpler for me and I'd be less inclined to batter certain users to death every now and again.
    8. flex22
      flex22
      :eek:
    9. Phil
      Phil
      :) Sorry, bit extreme, just a current frame of mind sort of thing.
    10. AJ
      AJ
      I know what you mean Phil, some people are just downright dangerous using a computer. :eek:

And then theres the users who think they know it all and end up making a bigger hash up of it than if they just left alone.

I'm sure we all know these people.

Andrew