desktop icons inactive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by salv236, Oct 21, 2010.

1. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

Dear members,

Im running a laptop with XP Pro SP3, i recently uninstalled my AVG antivirus in order to install HTC Synch version 3.0. Synch the install when i right click any icon on my desktop the system freezes with an eg timer preventing me from navigating on my machine.

Im assuming its the htc software thats causing the problem or could be due to a defrag that hasnt occured for 3 weeks, what does the form advise me to do.

thanks for your advice.

Best regards

Salv236

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSE XP/2K3
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Personally my bet would be on the software which was supposed to be in context menu (right-click) but it's not there and computer gets confused.

This could be the AVG as when you right click you have an option to scan file for viruses.

My guess on it.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I can't think of any reason not doing a defrag for three weeks would cause this.

Why would you uninstall AVG in order to install any program? Why not just disable it during the install if necessary?

So, you have no anti-virus installed now?

Does this happen in safe-mode?

Sounds like a good guess above. re-installing avg may resolve the issue

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA
  4. salv236

salv236 Nibble Poster

Hi gosh1976,

The AVG antivirus is still there as this was reinstalled after installing the HTC softtware, im going to uninstall HTC synch as i believe there potentially could be some bugs with the tool.

Certifications: none
    WIP: MCSE XP/2K3
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

If that doesn't work, try a system restore.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. gosh1976

gosh1976 Kilobyte Poster

I believe Avira has a known issue with a registry value entry related to the right click menu that causes this same issue. Could be something similar happening with AVG. If you try uninstalling HTC Synch with no luck, I would probably try a system restore like mentioned above, and before that maybe try uninstalling and reinstalling AVG. If none of that works my next guess would be that it could be from malware and i would probably try a scan with malwarebytes.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCDST, CCENT, MCTS: Win 7 Configuring, CCNA