Desktop Engineer Interview Practical Test

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Elliot28, Jan 12, 2013.

1. Elliot28

Elliot28 Bit Poster

Hi All,

I am interviewing some desktop engineers soon and as part of the interview I would like to do a practical test.

I am would like some of your recommendations / experiences of what practical tests you have ever had to do or given.

Nothing too simple, something challenging.

We use windows XP and Dell machines

Look forward to your responses.

Thanks
    El

2. Grim-83

Grim-83 Nibble Poster

Telephone interview I had 2 days ago for a "desktop support engineer" role, I was ask how I would reset a password on a domain client account, a user calls in from a business trip and is unable to get her emails on her black berry.

All the questions asked seemed to be day to day things that the support team had to deal with. So my suggestion is to look at the role being advertised and ask yourself what top 5 things are being reported, and then pick a few rare things to ask.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, CompTIA Network+, MCP 70-270, 70-290, MCTS 70-680, MTA 98-365, 98-366, 98-367
    WIP: CCENT / CCNA
  3. FlashDangerpants

FlashDangerpants Byte Poster

Stick with the classics! "my email doesn't work" - anyone who doesn't immediately ask if other people in the office do have email can be shown the door. Anyone who can arrive at the inevitable solutions (something DNS related for first line, or else maybe Circular Logging for second) gets the job.

Certifications: MCITP Exchange 2010, MCSA Svr 2012
    WIP: Exchange 2013