Design a server room

Discussion in 'Networks' started by BrizoH, Sep 25, 2007.

1. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

I've been asked to look into the possibility of converting one of our rooms into a dedicated server room. This is something I've never done before so I'm looking to tap into the knowledge on CF!

What would you like to see in your server room design, given the opportunity?

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

This will depend on how many servers, how important they are to the running of the company, what power is available to the room, and the budget.

Items in one of our server rooms:

Raised floor and ceiling baskets for cabling.
    UPS
    Air-conditioning
    Very good fire suppression system
    High security on the doors
    Lockable cabinets for tools and test kit

And outside the room - an emergency generator.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

I agree with Harry's list, but I want to stress the air conditioning part. I couple of servers in an enclosed room heat up fast. It should have its own thermostat.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

This may be a little overboard but you might want to get your hands on a copy of The Practice of System and Network Administration by Thomas A Limoncelli, Christina J Hogan and Strata R Chalup. I reviewed it and it contains all of the information necessary to design a server room or a data center. Just a thought.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. BrizoH

BrizoH Byte Poster

Thanks for the feedback, I'll try to get my hands on a copy of that book Trip.

The number of servers initially is 18 - so I'm aiming to plan capacity for 25-30 from the initial spec, as no doubt that will go up.

Budget is going to be tight, so possibly just the essentials - Aircon, power/ups, door security.

I'll bring a few companies in to survey and quote on the work required, will keep you posted on the outcome.

Certifications: CCNA, CCNA Security
    WIP: CCNP
  6. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

BrizoH,

Don't forget to include in the budget:
    1. Personnel
    2. Training for current and future personnel

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA