Derren brown

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Sep 21, 2010.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

I dont suppose anyone caught the program he recently did called hero at 30000 feet?? Basically he turns someones life around, and gets them to do brave things, or take them out of their rut/comfort zone and suggest to them things that they could do etc. You can watch it on channel 4s site.

It was only an hour long but maybe im missing something here but i can see how he turned a bloke , who was shy and not at all confident , to some bloke who could actually land a plane?? There were some suspect bits i thought, the worst being the bit were derren puts him in a straight jacket and then lies him down on a supposedly deserted train track, and for good measure even ties hi legs up.

Suprise suprise, a train comes and he escapes with what seems like seconds left, maybe that was done using camera tricks. Surely the people who made this program , had to comply with certain safegaurds and im sure health and safety would of told them its a no no, just for the simple fact that if it went wrong , it would go wrong rather badly.

What does everyone else think, are you suspect of this stuff, or do you think its genuine???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I watched it and wasn't convinced in the slightest. Looked very set up to me.

I liked his recent programs looking into supposed psychic's, ghost hunters etc.. and revealing them to be utter charlatans (quelle suprise!)

Didn't like his lottery program though since he wasn't prepared to reveal that he cheated and used camera tricks to supposedly predict the numbers. Detailed analysis of the footage has shown that a split screen was used and someone was actually in the shot writing the numbers on the balls, then when the screen was unfrozen the supposedly predicted balls were ever so slightly out of place compared to the originals. Was clever how it was done though.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Its not particularly surprising that some of it seems suspect, hes a magician and psychologists, tricks are what he does.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I didn't watch it but I watched the phsycics and ghost hunters ones.

Anyone can make people do what they want them to do by gaining their trust and confidence and by a bit of subliminal messaging. Anyone can stand in front of a crowd of people and get the name of one of their dead relatives and coming out with some BS to make that person feel better or worse. Cold reading people is easy practice it a bit and you could be the next Derren Brown :D.

It good if people do thing like that to make people more confident but filling them with false hopes which is what I believe phsycics and the like do is very wrong imo.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?