Depressing Reality.. IT starter :(

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Ifailed, May 24, 2016.

1. Ifailed

Ifailed Bit Poster

I've been looking for a job on and off for past 4 months and reality is just too depressing.
    1st month - with bachelor degree in IT only. zero reply among 20 places I applied.
    2nd month - applied only 5 places. zero reply
    3rd month - got myself comptia A+, 2 replies among 16 places I applied. one place offered $13.25 per hour but with 4 years contract(wtf) and the other place offered $16 an hour but night shift(7pm to 4am).
    4th month - got myself network+. applied about 10 places few days ago, waiting..

This is really depressing. Sure, I have no experience in IT in big business environment but I've been working on sales and customer support for 10+ years and been building PCs for 10+ years. After all the time and money I spent to get 4 years degree in IT and A+, Network+, my reward is basically same or worse than working at fast food store? And the worst part of all is, I am not even getting reply from the company I applied for most of time. It's not like I was applying for big azz job but simple help desk job. Why is it so hard to get entry level job and pay is so low? I see all those requirement from the company and their required list is just too ridiculous for mere entry level job while the pay is a joke. Is it just me or is everyone who just started in field is going through this kind of crap?

2. Pseudonym

Pseudonym Kilobyte Poster

20 job applications really isn't many. 5 in a month is virtually nothing. Aim to apply for every single one you find within like 50 miles. Did you turn down 2 job offers? If you get offered something, just take it and work on finding something better.

3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

You are too fussy you had two potential job offers which you turned down, you cant be that desparate.

4. Ifailed

Ifailed Bit Poster

Yeah.. because 4 years contract is just ridiculous. I know I need experience but I can't work for $13.25 an hour for 4 years. It's contract so even if I find better job midway, I can't quit and stuck at $13.25 so no way I am going to take that. I know I need experience to move up but I don't plan to work at help desk more than 2 years. :(

As for night shift, I can't do it. If it was for like 2pm to 10pm, i don't mind but 7pm to 4am is just ridiculous.
    I am desperate but my current part time job pay me $15 an hour so if I am gonna get less than that, it better be some place with potential growth not stuck at $13.25 for 4 years. :(

5. Ifailed

Ifailed Bit Poster

Wish I had a luxury to move but due to family matter I can't move and I can't drive like 2 hours to go to work. I think I applied to everywhere I am qualified for or close to qualified in 20 miles radius in 3 job boards. I live in Michigan. I check job board almost everyday for past 4 months, I don't see anything new for me to apply.

6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Agreed the 4 year contract thing is stupid, not many people stay in a 1st line job for longer than 18 months.
    Just keep applying getting your foot in the IT door is the hardest part once your in the gang it becomes a lot easier to move on, don't be disheartened.
    I think someone on CF took 18 months or so of applying to get their first job.

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  7. garycul

garycul Nibble Poster

Welcome to the world of IT. I have 25 years IT experience in enterprise environment and have worked in first line, second line, built and rolled out Win 95, NT4.0, XP and Vista. Scripted applications and patches for global deployment etc etc. Spent 5 years in service management, got made redundant so wanted to get back into technical IT again. Spent time catching up and passed 70-687 (config Win 8) and 7-680 (config Win 7). Despite this and having 5 other MS certs I struggled like mad to get a techy job. Must have sent off 30+ applications and no responses. Agencies on the whole are appalling. They make false promises and rarely follow up on things. I eventually landed a job rolling out Windows 7 and I took a low rate just so my CV was up to date again on techy side. Basically you need to take anything to get yourself on the ladder and get the real world experience. It should be easier to find other jobs once you have this real world experience.

Certifications: 70-697 Configuring Windows Devices, 70-680 Configuring Windows 7, 70-687 Configuring Windows 8.1, TCP/IP ON NT4, NT 4 Server, NT4 Workstation, Windows 95, Windows 3.1, ITIL SLM Practitioner, ITIL v2 and v3 Foundation
  8. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Ah right I misunderstood.