Deploying Windows XP with BDD 2007 woes

Discussion in 'Software' started by VantageIsle, Jan 20, 2008.

1. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Hello all, I’m appealing for help because I’m having a few problems with deploying Windows XP to some HP machines at work for a customer who decided they wanted Windows XP instead of Vista at the last minute. All the units for the customer have arrived with vista pre installed and I was given the task of learning the BDD process and creating a build within a week, shouldn’t be a problem I thought:D

Since Monday I have installed BDD and managed get a (almost) decent build together for the desktops (HP DC5750s) with dot nets 1.1, 2.0 3.0 Widows Installer and Microsoft office and adobe reader. The main problem I had was with the drivers, but after a lot of trial and error the desktop now builds without halting and all the drivers apart from one are detected and installed.

So on Friday I set about creating a build for the laptops (model HP 6710b), after finding all the correct drivers for this model and testing them on the laptop (when they are all installed manually the laptop shows all devices in in device manager) Even though I have all the correct drivers for this model when the BDD light touch installation of windows XP finishes the laptop is not picking up all the drivers it needs (about 6 question marks in device manager) One driver that is not obviously not installing is the graphics driver because the font is massive and the display will not go wide screen.

I am suspecting this is because of the multiple tier drivers needed for the laptop (two needed for the graphics card, two needed for the sound to work and so on) I have followed Ben Hunters advice about Integrating Mass Storage Drivers into your XP image shown here http://blogs.technet.com/benhunter/...-mass-storage-drivers-into-your-xp-image.aspx

This does seem to change something because the new found hardware prompt appears during the windows installation but when the light touch process finishes I am still left without the proper graphics drivers, no sound and a device manager with loads of question marks in it.

I know it’s a long shot and a bit cheeky but if anybody has come across this problem or has any ideas I’d really love to hear it. I am really running out of time and ideas with this one, and people are asking when the Laptops and computers can be delivered to the customer.:x

Thanks in advance and sorry about the long post.

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  2. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Blah Blah Blah, long post.........

Solved most of the problems today, (graphics drivers, wireless, audio and so on) just getting the fingerprint driver to install via BDD is a bit of a problem.

Oh well, moral of the story: BDD with out SMS deploying windows xp on machines designed to run vista can be a bit of a pain :biggrin

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA