Denying access to URL over the web

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by J.Hinds, Jan 28, 2011.

1. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Hi guys,

I have a little bit of a problem.. I need to temporarily disable access to a certain website and then later in the evening allow access again and I need to be able to keep doing this on a daily basis for a little while. Now I know how to do this locally through the router, but I'm not sure how to do it remotely. Would I need to setup remote desktop? Is there a way to access the router over the internet? is there a program I can use to allow access at certain times and deny it at others? :blink

I actually have no idea where to begin so any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,

- Jai -

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCTS (Win 7)
    WIP: MCSA (Server)
  2. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Your router should have a 'remote management' option within it's GUI config.

3. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

Oh right is it really that simple? Will it be labeled remote management? or could it be something else?

4. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Well I take it you have a Netgear WGR614 (Virgin Media) or similar.

So yes, go to the smart wizard (router main page) ---> advanced ----> Remote management.

5. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

You dont need to post this twice by the way. Just post once on CF - people can see it in their new posts list.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  6. UncleBeard

UncleBeard Nibble Poster

By now, someone should have mentioned to make damn sure that you have changed the Router admin password from the default if you are exposing it to the Interweb at large - if you haven't already? :eek:

Certifications: MOS 2003, 2007 and 2010, Master 2003, 2007 and 2010, MMI 2003, MCT, ITIL Foundation
  7. J.Hinds

J.Hinds Nibble Poster

@ ethernet0 - Thank you for the info, it's exactly what I needed to know.

@ Fergal1982 - Point taken, only reason I did so is becuase I wasn't sure where would be best to put it to get a fast response. Now I see it doesn't really matter, as people on this forum are incredibly efficient. :biggrin

@ UncleBeard - Cheers for the heads up, it's the first thing I did when I got into the settings.

8. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

No bother.

not sure if you are aware of it, but going straight to certforums.co.uk (ie without the /forums at the end) takes you to a home page that has a grid showing a selection of the new posts (since your last visit). There is also a link under your avatar that shows all new posts (not just the last 10 threads or so). I believe most people use these to look through the new posts.

If your thread is in the wrong forum, the mods will usually be on top of it to move it somewhere else.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  9. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Windows Parental Controls?

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD