Dentist stuff

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zxspectrum, Feb 16, 2009.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Right just been watching the tonight program on itv about mercury amalgam fillings and the fact that they are toxic and release vapour into your system, which can lead to brain damage etc blah blah.

Well Ive had these filling since i was 6, and now later in life i find myself with ill health, i have kidney failure, so im going to explore the possability of a link between the 2. I get tired a lot and fatigued but i get told that this is down to being anemic, which could be true. What i want to know from you lot who get their dentist treatment on the nhs is can i insist on having white fillings and also if i can get the ones that are already in, can they be taken out and replaced with white ones on the nhs????

ANy ideas folks???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I have no idea how health insurance works where you are, but it sounds like you need to have that filling replaced pretty darn quick.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Well the first thing you could do is eliminate the aneamia.

If you haven't had this properly diagnosed, then go to your Doctors and ask for a blood test. Anaemia is easily treatable with iron supplements (heck, you can even buy multivits + iron from Boots) - if this is a problem then you need to eliminate that from causing your tiredness.

If you're worried about the fillings you have and want to have more control, then why not sign up for HSA, BUPA or whatever, go private and get the costs back? That way if you ever want consultation on further health problems (if, like you say, you are worried about other issues such as with your kidneys) then you can also get private (claim-backable) consultation.

Regards to the NHS dentist element - I'm private and never had fillings at any rate, so can't comment sorry :(

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I dont buy it though. Ive had fillings since i was a kid but ive never had any problems, surely everyone would be affected and not just a select few. How many of the population do you think actually have these fillings?

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I think your more likely to get fatigued regularly from anemia than something from your fillings. Your more likley to get mercury poisoning from those bloody crap energy efficient light bulbs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Have to say that made me laugh out loud. Not even sure it was a joke. Back to the issue though, i have had fillings for a few years and i would be more concerned about the bits that fall off!!! I was eating something one day and crunched on a bit of filling! Wonder how much was sitting in my gut poisoning me.

I think Raffaz is right though. There must be millions of people with no problems from fillings. Many of these tv shows and docs just scare monger. They come on with doctors and scientists and look very believable. If we believed them all though we would all be dead x 100 from dozens of cancers by now. I have read that scientists say sausages give cancer, as do vitamins, as does milk and many more. Every week there is something else.

As Arroryn said, go see someone about the aneamia and take things from there.:)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Normally if you want white fillings you have to go private and pay the extra.

I've got loads of fillings and so does practically everyone I know so I wouldn't worry about it.

Maybe there are minor long term effects, but as mentioned there are many potential health risks everywhere. You could live in a house with lead pipes or radon gas, etc.

Check with your dentist or doctor if you are worried.

http://www.diagnose-me.com/cond/C15891.html

8. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

There is some evidence to suggest that mercury fillings may have a detrimental effect on people with "renal dysfunction" but as far as I'm aware the British government doesn't recognise this. There does seem to be a lot of conflicting studies going about so it's no surprise a TV programme managed to dig up enough people with views at one end of the spectrum.
    Your GP would be the person to ask in the first instance because it could come down to the NHS postcode lottery.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  9. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Heard this through my dentist recently seems it's a great money spinner for some!
    The chances of getting poisoned is probably the same as winning the lottery each week for a month!!
    But if you feel like spending your holiday money etc than visit your dentist who will gladly charge you £££!!

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

My bad. I read the original post in haste. In my defense, I will say that metal filings have been traced to chronic health problems later in life, but to the best of my knowledge, those problems have (at least in my case) been restricted to gum disease and similar ailments. Obviously, I was "off my feed" yesterday. Apologies. I wouldn't joke at another person's misfortunes.

11. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I was told by my dentist (he's private btw, couldn't get a NHS one :( ) that as long as the old metal fillings weren't cracked/damaged they're ok (I've got quite a few of the old metal ones). If they were, then they would replace the damaged fillings with the newer "white" ones - however I don't know if that is dental practice in general or specific to our dental practice.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  12. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Also to clarify, it was the way you said "or typed" it that made me laugh. Not anything to do with someone else having unfortunate medical problems. It kind of reminded me of a Saturday Night Live or Jay Leno type quip. Kind of felt like you were in shock horror at us Brits and our medical system. I know Americans love to joke about our dental issues :D

No joke was intended on anyone with any sort of medical problem.

Although as i said earlier, i do think these sorts of things are pretty far fetched despite "some" evidence claiming it to be valid.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I am. I pray we don't go to any sort of nationalized healthcare.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The NHS is a joke. We pay taxes that are supposed to get us health care but were are just paying overpaid pencil pushers and inadequate facilities.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Went to the dentist myself yesterday evening. Not good news. Lots of $$$$ going out the window soon.

16. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

Have you seen the Michael Moore film called SiCKO. It paints a pretty bad picture of the American health system.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  17. BosonMichael

Michael Moore is a moron. Sorry.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. NightWalker

NightWalker Gigabyte Poster

I quite like a few of his films. I do think meeting the health needs of a country is a very large and complex task. Any health system will have good and bad points, I know there is a lot of wasted money in the NHS and the waiting times are pretty bad in many cases, but you do get your treatment and as with most things its only those people who have a bad experience that are particularly vocal about it. The folks that are happy and pleased with the service they receive just carry on with their lives. I have never lived in the US so I am not really qualified to comment on your health system, I don't know how true to life or un-biassed Michael Moore's film was but it certainly made things look like they were overpriced and a real money earner for the insurance companies who didn't always have the best interests of the patient at the top of their agenda.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCP, MCSA:M 2003, ITIL v3 Foundation
  19. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I agree with (Boson) Michael here. The U.S. health insurance system needs a lot of work, but based on what a friend of mine in Canada tells me about their nationalized health care system, I'll take our any day. At least my doctor cares about my health, doesn't confuse me with other patients, and doesn't lose my records on a more or less regular basis.

As far as Michael Moore is concerned, it seems the only reason he makes movies is to "wind up" his critics...not that he has anything useful or constructive to offer.

20. BosonMichael

Insurance companies have largely screwed up the health system, but what we've got is better than the alternatives that are being suggested.

For the record, I haven't had a problem getting the health care I need when I need it. For example, when I needed an emergency MRI, I got one that day, and the insurance company paid what they said they would pay.