DELL UPS shutdown on AC back

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by LukeP, May 25, 2010.

1. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'm having trouble trying to get the DELL 2700W Line-Interactive UPS (J727N) to work as I want it to.
    Basically, I've got the shutdown of the servers configured after certain time on battery which works fine. Different segments switching off as they should, and later everything starting up when the power comes back.
    I cannot, however, get the UPS the finish the shutdown procedure (Shutdown segments, go standby, switch off, on AC power back switch on, switch on the segments), if the AC power comes back before the shutdown finishes.
    Segments that are past the shutdown stage remain off while equipment on segments that are configured to shutdown later just get the power from AC via UPS and UPS carries on as normal (with half the equipment powered off).

Does that make sense at all?

I've upgraded firmware on both the UPS and Network Management Card. There is an option in Shutdown Properties section on the NMC interface called "Forced Shutdown and Restart of the UPS".
    Help file says it's supposed to do what I want it to do but it doesn't. Was on the phone with DELL today and had one of their engineers remoting via WebEX to look at the settings to no avail. They've asked to email them the UPS logs and we're waiting to hear back.

Any ideas?

Last edited: May 25, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Might be way off but has the UPS been maintained regularly i.e battery replaced etc if a long time ago could be faulty even if it shows ok on the LED display.

It should do what you want but if its faulty you never know what it might do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Sorry. Forgot to add.

It's brand new. Delivered from Dell.

4. greenbrucelee

Strange. I have been looking at ours and the settings are exactly the same as what you have set and it works for us not sure what I could tell you to try since it seems you are doing the correct thing.:blink

5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Any chances you could post a screenshot of the setting screen for comparison?

Do you shut down the inverter after specified time?

I've tested variety of settings. Below are the latest settings I used for testing with no joy.

Attached Files:

• ups.jpg
      ups.jpg
      File size:
      30.1 KB
      Views:
  6. greenbrucelee

Unfortunately our firewall and security policy does not let me post screenshots to any forums, I can't even send it my home email which is also restricted.

The inverter doesn't get shut down.

7. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Cool. I thought it wouldn't. But even with this set up it still doesn't bloody work.

8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Quick update:

We're getting it replaced by Dell on Tuseday. This isn't on production network so no biggie. Hopefully we'll have it sorted tomorrow.

Last edited: May 31, 2010