dell problems

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Jul 26, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

OK a mate of mine had broke a screen on a lappy and has had it repaired. He says that its running really slow though and half the files that were on it seem to be corrupt in some way. The bloke who sent it away for repair for him thinks that its due to the comp being switched on and off repeatedly by the person who ever fitted the screen etc.

Im thinking that he mat have a point so what can be done about this, as in being able to recover the files. ive just lent him my EXT HD to save all his files as he wants to do a reformat but the disc hes been given by dell is a back up disc and not the windows disk, can he get this disc from dell at all , as hes paid for the licence through buying the laptop hasnt he .

The computer has never been online either so im ruling ourt spyware and viruses etc

Any ideas

Ed:oops:

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hope this helps

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yeah, surely the laptop is switched off, the screen is replaced and then the laptop is switched back on. No?

Might be worth scanning the HD for errors. Perhaps the HD is on the way out? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. zxspectrum

Well guys i cant get him to check the HD as it wont let him and there are user on it so he doesnt have admin rights etc, what ways can i get around this glitch

Ed

5. Sparky

Does anyone have an admin account for the laptop?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

i would boot up with Linux Live CD / BartPE and transfer the data from there... Im sure that would work

7. zxspectrum

Hi guys

he managed to log the users off in task manager and did the check that way, he said it took about 5 mins but didnt report any porblems???

Ed

8. Sparky

Dell generally supply a restore disk with the laptop which will install the OS. There may also be a driver disk but you can just download them from the Dell website.

Actually if you put the service tag of the laptop into the Dell website it should give you all the drivers etc. you need.

Who replaced the screen, was it done by a Dell engineer under warranty?

9. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with sparky, usually Dell provides a restore cd, and if not usually when you boot up the computer for the first time you get a prompt to create recovery dics.

As for the hard drive, has anyone tried to physicaly take it out and insert it back into the laptop, maybe the gentleman who replaced the screen pulled out the hard drive for some reason and didnt properly connect it when he put the hard drive back in.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA