For Sale DELL PowerEdge 2850 Servers 2x 3.2GHZ Xeon etc.. x2

Discussion in 'Sales and Swaps' started by Mikeyboy, Jan 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Hi all,

Just selling my old servers, I have them on eBay at the moment but don't seem to be getting much interest, I would like them gone so open to offers...

just copying the text from my ebay ad :)

For sale,

Dell PowerEdge 2850 server, with 2x Intel Xeon processors, 8GB RAM and 1x 73gb HDD.

I bought these earlier this year to use as test servers running VMWare ESX 4.0, which they do perfectly well (see second picture to see how they appear in VMWare ESX). The processors are single core with hyperthreading, they are 64-bit processors but do NOT support intel-VT so in other words, if you were buying these to run VMWare, they could not be used to create 64-bit VMs, you could run a dedicated 64-bit OS on them though.

They have run flawlessly for me for the past 6 months or so, but have just upgraded to some slightly smaller ones so no need for these now. Perfect for home lab setup if you dont mind the noise :)

I have two for sale, but obviously you will only be buying 1 at a time at this price, if you buy two then obviously postage charge will be lower for the two combined I expect (not sure what it will cost but will ship in the most cost effective method). Each contains:

2x Intel Xeon processors
    8gb RAM
    1x 73gb SCSI U320 hard drives
    1x PSU
    floppy disk drive (no optical)
    There is no software on these so will obviously be blank when you receive them.

Any other questions I will be happy to answer.

View attachment 2569 View attachment 2570

Target price of about £160 each but willing to listen to offers :) also bear in mind the size / weight on these, probably looking at £15-£20 to transport but can collect from me as well.

Certifications: VCP,MCSA, MCP, MCDST, MCITP, MCTS, A+, N+
  2. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

These are still available... :D

3. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Hi,
    I have the HP version of the same server (3800) and the 2nd hand going rate for a 2x 3.2/3.4/3.6GHz Xeon with 4-6 36Gig HDs is more like £50-£80 I'm sad to say...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  4. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Can you show me these hp 3800 you speak of, I found none on ebay... Whilst you are try searching for dell poweredge 2850 and see what they are going for... Just having the same cpu etc does not mean they are worth the same! Thanks for your 'help'

5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Sorry, my bad - too many zeros...

HP Proliant DL380 (G4) - go look; and they just don't sell. The market for these is saturated.
    Mine was off ebay - I ended up getting two and stripping the 2nd down for spares - still at £75 + £10 p&p as the seller was just desperate to shift the kit.
    Good luck though....

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  6. Mikeyboy

Mikeyboy Kilobyte Poster

Thanks... I appreciate there is plenty of these for sale, I will just have to undercut everyone else! Hopefully they will go soon lol

7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Need to be in it for the long run mate. I shifted many 2850, 2950s when they first came out and have since replaced a few of them so I have around 6 2950s in stock for hardware repairs for other customers.

The problem is there isn’t really a demand for lab use because of the noise level.

Stick a buy now price on it and see how it goes….

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs