Dell poweredge 2800

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soroush, Oct 15, 2007.

1. soroush

soroush New Member

hi, im building my first server and i bought the following off ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI....m=260168150150&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=016

Did i pay a good price for it?? Would any SCSI HDD fit that motherboard? Any EEC ram as well? Can that motherboard support 64 bit xeons?

WIP: CCNA, A+, N+, S+
  2. ajs1976

ajs1976 Byte Poster

Do you have a PE 2800 case for it? Dell hardware can be very proprietary and it may not work an a standard case.

As far was you questions, look up a PE 2800 at support.dell.com.

Certifications: MCSE, CCEA, Sec+, L+, N+
    WIP: 2008, CAG, or CCENT (not sure)
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Cool, is a Zeon a new type of chip from Intel I haven't heard of yet? :)

If 60 quid is all you paid then it's not too bad (with the chip). You may be able to fit it into a cheapo 1u case as well, but only if you are lucky. As ajs1976 said, Dell like making very propriatery boards / PSU's etc.. so it's not always easy to get cheap spares for them. It may be worth trying to get hold of a scrapped / not working server of the same type and use the parts you have to try and get a single working server from the two systems.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Have you been living in a cave? :blink Xeons have been around since 1998: Wiki link, Intel's Xeon product page

EDIT: Ah, I see the auction says "Zeon". My sarcasm meter must be broken. I was left with a "sar-chasm".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Heh, I guess you read Zeon, and it became Xeon in your head. :)

Zeon's are better than Xeon's anyway because they go up to 11. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Actually, since Zeon wasn't anywhere in the thread, I thought you had misread/mistyped it and REALLY didn't know what a Xeon was (which is what the original poster typed, correctly). :D

[​IMG]

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

[Edit]
    Nevermind me just wasting space

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Me too! :biggrin

:offtopic