Dell Optiplex - RAM Issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Mr.Cheeks, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi guys,

I have an old Dell machine, also a old machine which is lying there.

I decided to switch parts around from the crap machine to the Dell one, Dell is 933mhz, other is 233mhz.

From the crap machine, i wanted to shove the mem across, but when i shove it in (1stick samsung 128 K4S280832D-TC75) i have a beep... beep.... beep.... sound. i then upgraded the bios to v9 from v6 (GX110 Bios A09). Now i dont hear no sound, but stil picks it up as 128 :(

Any ideas?

2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

By the sounds of it, and this is without looking into it, I'd say that the memory is incompatable.

The Newer PC most likely doesn't support the old memory as it is probably to slow for it.

:blink

3. Mr.Cheeks

I was thinking the same, but was hoping not.

4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

And Dell has used some slightly unusual memory at various times.

For Dell (and some others like Compaq) I tend to try and use Kingston memory.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Rumours have it that the Dell mobo ATX style is unusual shape - can not fit into a small ATX tower, plus you cant take the power supply out of the Dell and shove it in the other casing cuz of that flip flop release button and metal cage thing? True?

6. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Dell PSU's are usually custom units that can't be used in other regular PC's. They quite often have proprietry connectors that aren't ATX etc...

Which is why they can charge 120+vat for a 100W supply, which is what they quoted me on recently when I needed to fix a burnt out machine on a PC that was put of it's warranty.

I ended up getting a reconditioned unit from an ebay shop for about 30 quid instead.

As for the ram, have a look on Crucial's website. You should be able to select the PC type on there (including Dell's) and pick out the correct ram for the mobo. It's possible the PC could be too old though, I'm not sure what type of stock they keep of older types of ram.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada