Dell lappy

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by zxspectrum, Aug 5, 2007.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well some of you may remember that a mate of mine has had a screen replaced on his dell and for some reason the comp is running very slow and also some of the files are damaged.

Would i be able to link my new laptop up which runs on vista home premium to his dell which is on xp to see if i can do anything. Or better still could i get it so that his HD is set to slave on my com to try andsave any files he wants ???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Ed,

I assume you mean to connect to it remotely to give help.

If so, get your friend to install Logmein and then log in to his machine.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Aye i was thinking of that but if his com is running like a bag of spanners thatn i may have trouble. I was also thinking of trying to set his as slave on my laptop so i could rescue his files and possibly reformat his machine???

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well if you're using laptops I'd buy an external drive case with USB connector, they are about £20. Simply put his harddrive in the case then connect it up and you can then mess with the files as you see fit.

You could try networking the two machines together but for a home user reinstalling the OS on a dodgy lappy probably not that good an idea.
    You could create a workgroup and set up some shares.
    You could use a terminal services or VNC program to 'remote control' a lappy with a broken screen, or just use an external display.

Otherwise just use a CD boot disk/install to reinstall.

5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Taking the hard drive out and putting into a 2.5" enclosure is a good idea, but you don't need to spend 20 quid. Get one of these. £6.81 and it even comes with a nice little carry case and USB lead. I bought one for an 80GB spare laptop drive I had, very handy and nice and fast.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Well got mine from ebuyer about 3 yrs ago, guess prices gone down a bit since then. :)

7. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

lol i was going to say get a caddy as well, its the easiest way really.

8. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

dont foget if you do go for the caddy, virus scan the whole thing before you do anything with the data on it. especially if it is running poorly. Its proberbly about to fail but might be a million viruses on it causing it to run slowly!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing