degrees

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by bazzawood30, Jul 11, 2010.

1. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Is it possible to get a degree by collecting lots of certs? I know a ccna is worth 60 credits is there a limit to how many credits that can be gained in this way?

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Not as far as I am aware although I have heard of people being admitted to colleges for having certs but never heard of any certs actually counting towards a degree.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Richy19

Richy19 Bit Poster

They do CCNA in some networking orientated courses (like im doint CCENT in my college) however i doubt you could get a degree or other certification with just certificates specially vendor specific stuff

WIP: BTEC ND IT, CCENT, A+, N+
  4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Yes some colleges in the US and Australia take certs as a large proportion of credit towards a degree.

The OU allows you to count certs for upto 60 points if I remember correctly.

Other universities often award credit on an individual basis to people that have experience.

So the answer is no in that you cannot get a degree entirely with certs, but yes in that certs could count for between 5-70% of a degree depending where you take it.

I agree with Rich in that the most common idea is to cert along with relevant college training, like a CCNA on a networking degree, the advantage of this is you get decent training, lab acess, a degree, and a cert and employers and you college have a better indication you didn't just braindump.

The OU has this aspect, they will not give credit for the CCNA, but you can gain it by taking their networking courses.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  5. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Thanks, i am looking into doing a degree part time 60 credits would save me a full year of study.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST