Define Level 2 IT Staff

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by tripwire45, Apr 19, 2006.

1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

...as opposed to Levels 1 or 3. I assume it maps to tier 1, 2, and 3 help desk support but I need a clearer understanding of the responsibilities this level of staff person would have in maintaining a network. Thanks. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

http://www.helpdesksurvival.com/HelpdeskTier123Support.html

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M
  3. Pete01

Pete01 Kilobyte Poster

I'm a level II and as far as the network is concerned I don't have that much critical responsibility. I am DRI (designated responsible individual) for 2 servers one of them being our Sophos AV server for our office and some remote offices in Stockholm and Tel Aviv.

The most of my work comprises of project work such as our XP desktop rollout, we've been given departments to 'project manage' and we also build/update the images for our region. We'll get other projects like testing bits of software and things like that.

Support wise we get calls that are escalated to us from the 1st line team and some more complicated calls get passed straight to second line. We'll also help out with the helpdesk if they have people off sick on holiday etc and cover the helpdesk if they are having a team meeting.

We're also each trained up to be a 'backup' to a 3rd line technology so we can cover for a member of 3rd line staff responsible for our designated technology- I am being trained to be a backup for Lotus Notes/Domino.

That's pretty much it where I work, in other places it might be different.

Certifications: MCP (NT4) CCNA
    WIP: 70-669, Learning MSI packaging