Default Recipiant Policy Question

Discussion in 'Exchange Exams' started by Sparky, Jun 13, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Question for all the Exchange Gurus here.

Ok, so you have an exchange server set up with a default recipient policy with @123.com as the email domain. Then the company has another domain added and its @1234.com. The requirement is to add this to a group of users and not the whole organisation.

Is there anyway this can be done, say by assigning a recipient policy to an OU for example?

The reason I ask is if I add it to the default domain policy then the whole organisation (all users) get the new email domain. If I uncheck the domain in the default domain policy then I would have to add the new email domain as an alias to around 100 users. Not good! :blink

Any help greatly appreciated! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

you kinda answered your own question. yes, you can create an additional recipient policy (don't touch your default policy) and filter it to match the intended users (although i wouldn't filter by organizational unit myself). just watch your policy priority if you're going to use multiple recipient policies.

[edit] by default the new policy only affects new accounts. to affect existing accounts, right-click the policy and select apply this policy now.

3. Sparky

Thanks for the reply; I will give it a try when I am in the office tomorrow. I was just thinking “There must be some way of doing this!” when I posted before. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I had an issue with the default recipient policy recently on my SBS server at home. I neglected to add my company's domain to the default policy and Exchange decided to eat *all* my incoming emails, even the ones to the original domain which was listed in the policy :eek: These emails were not recoverable so be careful!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. Sparky

Thanks for the tip, I didn’t get a chance to try the new policy today but I think I’ll test it first on my own SBS before trying it on the clients server.

Don’t want to get a P45 after screwing up the email! :biggrin