Decoding the A+ tests

Discussion in 'A+' started by Tcat, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Tcat

Tcat Bit Poster

I have just finished (yet another) A+/Network+/Security+/CST/CNST boot camp. Damn good success. Not perfect. I'll take excellent results.

I told the class I thought I have been seeing a pattern. We confirmed it with this class. Remember this is a pattern, not a 100% rock solid everytime.

OK. In 220-301 there are "from hell" tests. They are:

SCSI (from hell)
    Printer " "
    Networking " "

220-302

XP GUI (from hell)
    Command line switch (from the deepest layers of hell)
    Win Me (from hell)
    NT 4 (from hell)

Every Sunday (US time) 70-80% of the tests are one of the from hell in core and OS. 20-30% are (from a relative standpoint) "fair". Fair still leave a lot of assumptions to fill in. If you get a "fair" SCSI question you have to assume all internal drives for example. A cable question on Parallel and you have to assume SPP since ECP is 2X the max. distance. The test does not say SPP or ECP. You fill in the blanks based on the choices given.

Again, the majority of tests fit a pattern of From Hell for 1 week. So if the first 1 or 2 on sunday see Command line switch from deep hell, that is what the week will be for most.

Oh how ugly can it be? How about the -A switch for ping, for example.

How long this pattern holds will be how long before the word leaks and they change it. As of now, I am saying this is the pattern I have figured out.

As I said in my hello post, I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore. Please see my thoughts at

http://snipurl.com/SaveAFrog

I'm going to wash up and go party with the team from class. They busted butt got great results and want to have a congrats pint here in Silicon Valley. Then 2 day teaching CTT+ then back to Seattle.

Tcat

Certifications: Cannot count.
    WIP: Creating new ETA-I certs.
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hmmm! Interesting! :hhhmmm

And I always thought that it was purely random which exam you were given. :ohmy

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

so what are you trying to say? that the test at the moment is from hell? if thats the case ill postpone my A+ Core!

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Tcat

Tcat Bit Poster

This week has not been too bad for core. Seems pretty heavy on network related topics. One had me really laughing. You had to know to reserve IRQ and memory for an ISA board *on a P4 motherboard!* Show me the P4 board with an ISA slot :rolleyes:

This week seems to be the "you have to assume" week. Assume all internal scsi drives. Assume SPP parallel.

Certifications: Cannot count.
    WIP: Creating new ETA-I certs.