Decided for MCSA

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by 5aq1b, Sep 30, 2006.

1. 5aq1b

5aq1b Bit Poster

Right . . .
    I have decided after some thinking that I wanna do my MCSA before I think about doing my CCNA. Reason being is that for the CCNA, I will have to buy another machine with a few routers/switches etc. I don't have alot of cash at the moment.

Can someone tell me the best training material for self study for the MCSA and like the CCNA, will i need any equipment?

I do have a copy of VMware running with Server 2003, that should be enough yeah?

I'm right in thinking that you need to pass 3 core exams and 1 elective? So is the following ok?

Exam 70–290: Managing and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Environment
    Exam 70–291: Implementing, Managing, and Maintaining a Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Network Infrastructure
    Exam 70–270: Installing, Configuring, and Administering Microsoft Windows XP Professional (Is there a huge differnce between XP and 2000?)

Elective Exam: Exam 70-2842: Implementing and Managing Microsoft Exchange Server 2003

Thanks

2. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

Go on your way ^^!
    I think you still have to spend some money for your testing devices. VMWare is wonderful but not enough for all. Using VMware Server for the best. And when you have chance, buy real devices, 'cause you will work in real life ^^

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

As an alternative to your Exchange elective. which is a tough exam to pass, you might want to consider starting with the CompTIA A+ and Net+. These two entry level exams together count as an elective for the MCSA. Also, if you are serious about getting into IT and networking, it makes sense to start at the beginning and work your way up.

Otherwise, the exams you have mentioned look good for MCSA.

Check the requirements here..

MCSA on Microsoft Windows Server 2003 Certification Requirements <clickable link!

No not really but bear in mind that the exams will focus on the new, so although in practice the two operating systems are much the same, the questions will be mainly on the new features in XP, like volume shadow copy, remote desk top, system restore, new group policy settings etc.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)