Debian: Installing wxpython 2.8

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Fergal1982, May 18, 2008.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Hey guys, I managed to get a machine to host my webserver on. Currently running Debian Etch, although I've made life more difficult by not installing the GUI stuff.

That said, I managed to get apache and mysql running, and even managed to fire up phpbb2 and phpmyadmin onto the server (still have to figure out if the dynamic dns and port forwarding to outside my network is functioning though).

However, I'm having a problem installing another app. I need to install wxpython 2.8 onto the machine for this app, but etch only have 2.4 and 2.6). I tried adding some sources to the sources.list, but it just seemed to keep falling over about the keys being unverified.

anyone have any idea what to do for this? also, how can i download files onto this machine?

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

What repos are you using?

Most of the more reputable non-official Debian repositories have keys for you to install. They will give either the package names or a short how-to for doing it manually with wget.

Normally what you have to do until you install their keyring is answer "y" to the question apt-get asks as to whether or not you want to install the packages that couldn't be validated.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Fergal, I think you just made friends with Freddy for life. Good going. :wink:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. Fergal1982

found the key. im using this

updated /etc/apt/sources.list to show:
    but when i run apt-get, i get this error:

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  5. Fergal1982

never denied that Linux had its place in the server environment. I just argue the desktop demographic. But thats a topic for another time. this will give me a functional (and another) reason to use linux and get to grips with it.

Im even going to consider testing asp.net apps on mono, so who knows.....

another question, given that its a CLI only machine, and i intend to use putty to work on it, how can i download files to it? i need to be able to browse to the web directories to publish pages, but i have no idea what to do.

6. Fergal1982

never mind, think i fixed this bit.

7. ffreeloader

Those are from errors in your sources.list file syntax. Post your sources.list file.

8. Fergal1982

its alright, i fixed it. also fixed the download using wget.

go me!

9. Fergal1982

dammit. managed to extract the zip file, but now if i try
    Code:
    python setup.py
    i get the following error:

10. ffreeloader

Way to go. You're definitely learning and getting better.... :)

11. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

I'm currently noobifying with Ubuntu Hardy! I'm loving it! Totally awesome!

Sorry for hijacking the thread. Back to topic... :oops:

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  12. ffreeloader

Good for you. Welcome to the world of Linux.

13. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

Cheers mate! :biggrin

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

When you say that you managed to extract the zip file, what exactly did you do?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  15. ffreeloader

This looks like a problem caused because your existing python installation is a Debian python installation. It doesn't know or understand that you installed a python module manually. Or, because you weren't in the python directory that you just unzipped. I'm not real familiar with the module you're wanting to work with so I'm in rather unfamiliar territory as far as the specifics of what that module provides.

Second, Debian packages are extremely modularized. Do you have the python-setuptools package installed?

My guess is though that the wxpython module that you're wanting to use is so new that it's not going to work the Debian python packages and you're going to have to compile all your python packages from source. The wxpython version in Sid is only 2.6 so you're way out there on the bleeding edge of python. I'd say not too many distros will have the 2.8 version available as a package yet.

16. Fergal1982

aha. i solved that particular problem...

Firstly, although python2.5 was installed, python -V still showed 2.4.4 i needed to run:
    Code:
    rm /usr/bin/python
    ln -s /usr/bin/python2.5 /usr/bin/python
    to fix it. i then got an error stating:
    in order to fix that i had to install python2.5-dev.

however, now i get an error during setup.py stating:
    in order to fix that. i had to install gcc.

so im still getting an error installing the app, but ive made progress.

17. ffreeloader

Make sure you have the libc6-dev package installed, although installing gcc should have brought that along. You might also need some of the Python xml related packages too. Also check and make sure you have the Python imaging library packages installed.

18. Fergal1982

i got bored of the repeated errors about unsupported python versions coming from the python2.4 and python2.5 installs, and upgraded to lenny.

question: is it possible to install etch packages onto lenny? the wxpython stuff doesnt have a lenny version in its package repository

19. ffreeloader

Why don't you just use the python-wx* packages that are available? You're wanting to use something in 2.8 that I'm guessing is in very few distros yet if it isn't in Sid. It is in Experimental, but then you're really taking your chances there.

If your heart is set on using something Debian just doesn't support yet then just compile Python and the appropriate libraries from source.

As to Lenny not having the python-wx packages, I don't know what you're talking about. Take a look at this.

http://packages.debian.org/search?keywords=python-wx&searchon=names&suite=testing&section=all

20. Fergal1982

unfortunately, the reason im going through all this hassle is to run an app server. The application in question requires wxpython2.8. Bit daft really, since the 2.8 version is still in beta by the looks of things. I tried installing and using the 2.6 version in the repository, but it doesnt seem to like it. 2.8 obviously has some procedures that 2.6 doesnt, and the app is calling them.

whats worse, is that as best i can tell, wxpython is a graphical addon. all i want to run is the server application, which doesnt use graphical stuff. but there isnt a server only version.

i suppose what i could do (at least for now), is install vmware or something onto the machine (apparently it can be installed and set up via the CLI), and put xp on to run the application server.

to be honest though, thats more overhead than id like on the machine. its (currently) a single core CPU - and not a great one at that, with about 512MB ram.