Debian Install

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by Rostros22, Nov 9, 2005.

1. Rostros22

Rostros22 Kilobyte Poster

Greetings all,

As I am a complete novice when it comes to linux I just wanted to ask you about installing Debian.

I have just downloaded an iso file and burnt it to cd and I am going to install it on a test machine that I have. The machine currently runs Windows 2000 and I just wanted some advice on how to go about it.

I presume the machine will become a dual boot machine but is there anything I should be aware of? I have dual booted many times before with multiple windows OS but will there be any major differences?

Thanks

Certifications: ITIL Certs, F.A.S.T Auditor Certs
    WIP: None - Application with Police
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I think I'll let Freddy, our resident Debian expert guide you throught that process. My "adventures" in trying to get Debian to run in VMware can be found Here
    :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Not too much to tell the truth. You do have make sure you have a place that Linux can use to install. I make sure I have an unformatted space that I can easily choose as Linux uses different disk descriptions and names than Windows does. If the space you want to install on is unformatted it's very easy to recognize.

Also, make sure you allow grub to be used as the boot loader and to install it in the MBR if you already have Windows installed. Other than that there really isn't much to watch out for. Linux plays pretty nicely with other OS's.

It takes about a 2+ gigs to do a full default desktop Debian install, but that includes all your software and two full gui's, Gnome and KDE.

I'd also make sure I used the option that installs everything on one partition rather than having your install space broken up into multiple partitions. Until you do a few installs and start to get a good feel for how much space each partition takes up in an install you can waste a lot of disk space using the other methods.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  4. Rostros22

Don't want to sound stupid but is grub used for the dual booting procees then? I have heard friends mention grub but never knew what it did?!? :oops:

5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

grub and lilo are linux bootloaders.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Rostros22

Thanks for the help guys

Probably going to have a debian install session tomorrow night and see how I get on with it.

Thanks again