Debian documentation packages

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Dec 17, 2007.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

For those of you wanting to learn Linux that have installed Debian, and maybe these will be available for Ubuntu users too, the following HowT0 and tutorial packages can be installed with apt-get.

doc-debian FAQ's and the documentation on the philosophy behind Debian
    doc-linux-html (This package holds 75 or more HOWTo packages.
    debian-reference-en (This is the English language package. There are packages for many other languages)
    apt-doc (Documentation for the Apt system
    gimp-help-en (English language help for Gimp)

There are many more documentation packages, but these are pretty generic for the most part as most people will have either the software the documentation is for on their systems, or maybe have an interest in learning about Linux in general from this documentation. When installed you will find them in /usr/share/doc except for Debian Reference which you can find under Applications -> Debian -> Help, and the Gimp help which you will be able to access inside Gimp.

When I say there are many more documentation packages I mean it. There are literally hundreds of documentation packages in Debian that document everything from shared library packages to server packages to compilers to programming languages to gui tools. To give you an idea of how many the following command gives me more than 10 pages of output with 64 lines of text per page. Run "apt-cache search documentation" to see the list. I'd recommend piping the output into "less" so you can scroll through it though as there are just so many packages.

This search will include some non-documentation packages and leave out some like the doc-linux-html packages above, but it will give you some idea of what's available.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1