Dead Laptop

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mojorisin, Apr 7, 2008.

1. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi All

I feel I have done something rather stupid with my laptop I have a Mitac 8575A laptop and I flashed the KBC bios with the bios for the 8170 by mistake (dont ask :() now the machine will not even power up to enable me to reflash with the correct bios

The KBC bios is different to the normal machine bios and seems to control the keyboard and power buttons

Would like to try and get this going again even though it is an old laptop it has served me well until a moment of amazing stupidty from me :blink

So I throw it open to you for some moments of genius that might fix it

cheers
    mojo

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Don't know this particular machine, but usually the only way out of this problem is replacing the BIOS chip, if it is pluggable, or replacing the motherboard if not! :ohmy

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Hi Harry

I think the chip in question is a soldered one although i do have another board from another old laptop of the same type but the graphics have failed on that one suppose i could try and desolder the chip and then put it in the dead one but the pins look rather small for doing this

cheers anyway

mojo

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  4. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

flashing a BIOS incorrectly can be terminal, however there is a few tricks on these pages [ http://ask-leo.com/c000497.html ] that may or may not help you out.

Other than that it's time for a new mobo mojo
    :)