DDR 4000 RAM?!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jellyman_4eva, Mar 26, 2006.

1. Jellyman_4eva

Jellyman_4eva Byte Poster

Hi guys,

Its been a while since I have needed to upgrade someones PC...

I am just curious as to where all this insane RAM speed is supposed to be used...

For example... you can now buy DDR 4000 RAM and faster! But what systems actually support it?! I thought Athlon 64's only supported up to 3200..

Is it a Intel thing for their CPU's which run with a faster FSB, or is it something for the overclockers amongst us?!

Certifications: MCDST, MCITP-EDST/EDA/EA/SA/ MCSA 2K3/2K8, MCSE+M 2K3/2K8, ISA/TMG, VCP3/4, CCNA, Exchange, SQL, Citrix, A+, N+, L+, Sec+, Ser+, JNCIA-SSL, JNCIS-SSL
    WIP: Lots
  2. Slam

Slam Bit Poster

Where have u been for the last few years? :p

Its not DDR 4000, its PC4000 which is DDR 500 if i can remeber correctly. The only people that I know likely to buy anything over PC3200 (DDR 400) are those who wish to overclock their systems and take advantage of the extra memory speeds. Intel more or less made the move to DDR2 memory which didn't prove to be all that beneficial at the time and the new AMD chips are moving to DDR2 as well. The faster RAM is alot more expensive and probably not woth it if you aren't overclocking your system.

3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Actualy, there are many Celerons and P4s that have a FSB of 533MHz, which translates to PC2-4200 memory.

So it isn't at all unusual to see these speeds.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+