Data Cache

Discussion in 'Internet, Connectivity and Communications' started by Mr.Cheeks, Aug 9, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Chaps,

I am now using my works laptop at home now, this laptop when at work is connected to a domain and uses a proxy server, however, when i come home, i click the wireless on and connect to my network (WorkgrouP) and disable the proxy settings.

I browse the net using Portable FireFox so my questions to you guys are;

1- With FF, its installed on my usb pen, and they say it does not store no cache, does this mean im able to access dodgy sites (not pr0n) without any data being downloaded directly on this laptops' hdd?

2- can i access mp3's, vids, etc in such a way that again, no "cache" of what i have been viewing gets stored on this laptop? (which is stored on my network at home)

Cheers...

2. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

if by that you mean temp internet files then yes I guess so...I dont know the settings FF itself but surely its the same as IE where you can say not to store or keep temp internet files or delete them after your done browsing...i hope thats what you mean otherwise I aint too sure mate...

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

From their blurb..

I would want to check out that claim for myself but from the looks of it you are safe to dabble in your dubious activities :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. Mr.Cheeks

but what about the vids on my network?

5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Once you are sure that no files are being cached, make sure Windows and your preferred media player isn't storing any MRUs.

More..
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/mrublaster.html

6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Using a work laptop for personal use? tut tut! :tongue

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. Mr.Cheeks

im just created another account...

Pete: How do you make sure files aint cached...

8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well you could surf the web, listen to some music etc. Then close the browser and search your entire hard drive for *.jpg *.gif *.mp3 etc use the * wildcard as temporary files usually have random file names.