D-Link wireless solutions, what are your thoughts???

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by Kitkatninja, Mar 21, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi Guy's/Gal's

A question for all of you out there...

Has anyone here got experience of D-Link centrally managed wireless solutions? What are your thought on them?

We actually recommend 3-Com due to experience, and because they are mid-range. We've used D-Link switches in the past, but found them to be unrealiable/not as managable compared to 3Com & HP; however their wireless kit (apart from the home stuff, which was shocking) we've had no direct experience with.

Thanks for any help.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

My only experience of d-link is a home wireless router bought around 5 years ago and installed at my parents house. Apart from the odd reboot every 12 months or so its not been touched and still functions as well as the day it was installed. It not exactly pretty though and i recall the gui was a bit dump...but it serves its purpose brilliantly!

I havent come across the product you are talking about, quick google search proved fruitless...you got a link?

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  3. Gingerdave

Gingerdave Megabyte Poster

I have dlink APs in two of our offices and they work really well, nice and easy web console, dependable and not to expensive.

Certifications: A+,MCP, MCDST, VCP5 /VCP-DV 5, MCTS AD+ Net Inf 2008, MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  4. Kitkatninja

No, someone else recommended the D-link kit. All I know is that it isn't POE...

How many clients & what WAP's? The "home" WAP that we tried first of all was the D-Link 7100, I believe, and that struggled with 15 laptops (2 WAP per laptop trolley, which housed 15 laptops). At this place they are looking at about 40-ish laptops to work over wireless.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  5. Gingerdave

I cant remember the model number off the top of my head, its a slightly older model, Im in the office tomorrow so I will post it up then. The useage is failry heavy with some of the einginners working with CAD drawings, and thermal model simulation so a realtively high amount ot traffic for the 5 users at the end of the office. As to if it would support 40 users not a clue but my gut says no.

6. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate :)

-Ken

7. Gingerdave

Right no need to wait till tomorrow I remembered the ones we have been using are Dlink DWL-2100AP A nice serviceable access point but I think it may be under powered for what you need.

I got one for our Manchester office about two weeks back and the price was £60 delivered.

8. Kitkatninja

Thanks mate :)

9. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Personally I've always been a Linksys or Netgear fan but I've not looked at either for a good few months to see what the current offerings are.

I know Linksys have options for changing ariels etc.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  10. Gingerdave

No problem!

11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

We've been using D-Link, in fact THESE

Had no problems with them . Do exactly what you need them to do, POE and for a reasonably good price as well.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

DLink is poo... I've supported more failing ones than working ones.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Having supplied many myself i have to agree, they do fail too frequently. I use a dl-604T myself at home and the damn thing causes some very weird packet loss issues which can only be fixed by re-booting the thing and pointing a 24 inch fan at it all day. :x

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. ThomasMc

ThomasMc Gigabyte Poster

Avoid The DWL-7100AP, They don't have WPA2 support and are poo :)

Certifications: MCDST|FtOCC
    WIP: MCSA(70-270|70-290|70-291)