CV trouble

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Georgiesickjitz, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Georgiesickjitz

Georgiesickjitz Byte Poster

Hello All. Hi I am a self employed carpenter/Contracts manager, and have been for the past 11 years. I have passed the CompTIA A+, and on the verge of taking the Network + exam. My problem at the moment is trying to make a really good and impactfull CV. I am sure it takes years to make a really top refined one. I think I have a pretty good one, apart from a few places. At the moment I am trying to focus on the personal section. Having scoured the web for examples, I am now more than ever completely stumped to what to put. Please can ANY ONE give me some advice.

Just to elabrate, I am applying for helpdesk roles. I have no experience in the industry other that what I have home studied. I work fulltime, and fit studying in morning and night. I deal with customers everyday, basic office stuff, use handtools and have several carpenter that work under me.

Please any experience you can offer or help would be fantastic. Thanks for reading.

Certifications: CompTIA A+,CompTIA Network
    WIP: CCNA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Be honest and sell you key customer handling skills. You might also want to try and secure short term contract desktop roll outs to gain experience etc.

It takes time and determination, so keep at it. Finally, search this site for CV's setup and tips under the employment and training sections. Best of wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Georgiesickjitz

Thanks Onoski, Thats good advice, I think i am going to give the job hunting a little rest untill I get certified with the N+. Although the contract work sounds like a great idea.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

dont give the job hunting up keep applying.

It took me 8 years to get into a proper IT job and It took Ken(Wagnerk) 5 years. IT is very hard to get into and if you stop applying like I did for 3 years then it will be even harder the next time regardless of the certs you have.

Also do not make the mistake I made and apply for jobs beyond your level as you will not get anywhere apply for trainee roles or roles that say training is provided/an interest in IT is a must. These sorts of roles wont be well paid but you will get experience then you can move on and up

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Georgiesickjitz

cheers GB,ok i will keep chipping away. But the contract side of it might be a good place to start. I just need some experience now its kind of frustrating.