CV review

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by FreshenUp, Sep 24, 2012.

1. FreshenUp

FreshenUp Bit Poster

Hi guys.

Currently job hunting, had about 3 interviews out of around 50 applications, I know this CV could be much better, just looking for pointers/advice.

Would be great if you could have a quick look and give me some ideas.

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  2. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Morning,

I've had a quick look over and here is my opinion.

1. The CV has too many lists. I'd advise changing your profile to a paragraph of details about you. Your current situation in life, what you want to do (career wise) and why. Sell yourself here.

2. Try and freshen up your Education section, perhaps put them in date order (ie: March 2008 - CompTIA A+ Certification) looking neater and easy to see you're still progressing.

3. Work - Expand on your job roles, write where you were using IT skills.

4. Hobbies/Interests - I'd personally remove it. You're here to work, if they want to know what your interested in then you can bring it up in the interview or once you get to know the person.

5. Reference statement - perhaps put this next to the previous jobs where you would get a reference from. ie: J Sainsbury's, Southampton (Reference upon request)

6. Use headers, larger text for the titles - so the reader can distinguish the areas.

7. Put more bold into the document for a reason - or remove the bold school/college. It stands out for no reason.

CVs are constantly evolving, keep changing it up and see how you feel with it. Good luck!

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I wouldn't even given them the hint of where your references will come from, remember many people may see your CV, and not all of these people are nice.
    Never give out any reference / previous employer contact details until you have a job offer on the table.

I agree with everything else Boffy said however.

Getting 3 interviews is good going in the current climate.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
    jk2447 likes this.
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Just a small point, but I always think of the hobbies and interests as an insight into how easy the person is to get on with ... all of the activities you have listed are things you can do on your own. Try to put something more "social" in there. That is if you choose to leave it in for the reasons Boffy mentioned.

And this is really a silly thing, but at work we have people who are doing the ASDAN award scheme, and they are people with moderate to severe learning disabilities. Now I know that ASDAN are just another set of awards like NVQs or GCSE, and that they go up to a quite high level, but you definitely need to quantify what level they are at (like Level 2, Level 3, etc)

5. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Very good point, if this is going to agencies etc never give out your references until they are ready to offer you the job.

6. FreshenUp

FreshenUp Bit Poster

Yeah I leave them off because a friend of mine kept his on his CV and they got spammed with phone calls/emails.

Thanks for the input guys, also, should I be only applying for 1st line support roles and the like?

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Yes, I'd advise you stay on a desktop support role or similiar, while you work on industry as well as server experience. Here's a quick list of what I always keep using:

1st Line Support
    IT Technician
    IT Desktop Support
    Helpdesk Administrator
    IT Support Technician
    IT Desktop Administrator