CV Review

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Honda, Jul 12, 2012.

1. Honda

Honda Bit Poster

Hi was wondering if anyone could give me advice on my cv. Not had much luck with jobs the last few years although lately i managed to get an interview with my old cv but unfortunately didnt pass it. Been looking for tips on here and changed my cv, Could someone please tell me if im better with the old one or new one and any improvements i could make?

Attached Files:

2. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Firstly, in your education, your B.Sc. (which you have spelt wrong), trumps everything else, so what I would do is move your education of the degree and HND to the top, and put the CCNA 1 onto the further training. For the electrical engineering, don't say that you dropped out, but do say what relevant skills you acquired (when I was in uni the electrical engineers were much better at Java, for example, than the Computer Science graduates (myself included))

The personal profile is a waste of time, as you are just saying what everyone else says, without providing any evidence for it. If you put it into sentences, you have a much better chance of evidencing it, so for example, instead of "good team player", you could say something along the lines of "during my time with x, I worked as an integral part of a busy, customer-focused team" ... don't actually say that, but that's an example.

3. shadowwebs

shadowwebs Megabyte Poster

couple of questions, you left a field engineer role to become a technical support advisor, why was this as it sounds like a career downgrade?

Also, you then left the technical support advisor to become a customer service advisor... why was this as it sounds like a career downgrade?

The only reason i ask these questions is because a prospective employer may wonder the same.

Naughty boy for having 3 points on licence :)

Certifications: compTIA A+, Apple Certified Technical Coordinator 10.10 (OS X Yosemite, Server and Support)
  4. ade1982

ade1982 Megabyte Poster

Missed that, just put

Full British driving license (, with access to a car)

5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Keep the personal profile - when you have 300 CVs to go through its handy just to skim the first part of a CV.

Change it though! Have you read it back? "I am.... I am..... I am....." ...........not good....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. Honda

Honda Bit Poster

Thanks
    The field engineer was only temporary, the technical support and customer service were for different telecoms companies under the same outsource company and i had to go to cust service because of redundancy, should i mention something about these reasons in cv or covering letter?

7. AdamV

AdamV Bit Poster

Agreed, anything along the lines of hardworking, quick learner, team player just looks like filler. Make it have more impact, write in sentences that don't all start "I am", give examples of how you demonstrate these talents in current or previous roles. (if you revert to something more like the original version, make sure you don't use the word "skills" a dozen times in one paragraph).
    I had one once which claimed "great attention to detail" as the second or third key skill. Software knowledge included Windows 95, 97, 2000 and Office 98! (yes, I know Office 98 does exist on the Mac, but no Mac skills were mentioned anywhere else). A simple error? Yes. Forgivable? Maybe. But to claim "great attention to detail" was clearly a lie or at best a gross exaggeration.

If you changed roles because of a redundancy, I think this can be worth saying, but just a simple one liner at the end of the section about that role. eg "I left this role due to redundancy when the company downsized." (or whatever is the true detail of the case).

Lose the mention of penalty points - unless the position you are going for is a professional driver (delivery van, bus, coach, taxi etc) then it is not important unless and until someone asks. Even if the job involves driving to do the job (eg field engineer) I don't see a need to be so upfront about it. It could easily bias someone against you because they had a bad experience being cut up by a boy racer last week, when that may not be what you are normally like as a driver. Be truthful if asked, but don't make a big thing out of it.

Certifications: MCT, MCSA:Messaging 2003, MCTS:Dynamics CRM 4.0 and 2011; MOS: Master Instructor 2003, 2007
    WIP: Writing CRM 2013 Customization course. Planning to take all CRM 2013 exams ASAP
  8. jm1

jm1 Bit Poster

I possess a full driving licence with 3 penalty points.

Honestly why do we need to know this?:ohmy

9. Honda

Honda Bit Poster

Thanks for the tips, do you think i am better with the cv with paragraphs or newer one with bullet points

10. jm1

jm1 Bit Poster

Bullet points but its OK to use a couple of longer sentence/paragraphs to emphasize your achievements.