CV Review

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by happystew, Oct 26, 2009.

1. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Hi

Yes another one!

If yous all could have a look and send me some feedback it would be much appreciated, i hoping all it needs is a wee tweak, and i know my grammer is bad, feel free to rip to shreds.....

Ta

Stew

Attached Files:

Certifications: Bsc Hons Computer & Network Support
    WIP: MCITP
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, it's neatly laid out. :biggrin

As a starter I'd take out the bit from Uni where you say that your good marks for your project 'improved my final grade' because it reads a bit like your grade wasn't that good to begin with.

Possibly take out the 'interests' bit - unless they are particularly unusual or relevant to the job then they're wasting space.

Try to get the whole lot onto two pieces of A4 - having it two and a bit pages long is a bit untidy.

If you can, try to include in your job descriptions something about your particular achievements that you er... achieved rather than just outlining the role you had. Or you can introduce a seperate 'achievements' section where you can list anything that made you stand out at work. As long as it was in a good way.

But you're well on your way.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

2003 – 2005 Fourth Valley College

HNC Computing: B
    HND Computing: Technical Support: A

Isent a HND graded on pass mertit distinction, i know mine is.

I put mine on 2 pages, although i don't understand the problem with having it on more surly if i was looking at CVs i would want to know more about the people i may interview. But in this case the 2nd page needs to be compressed.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2009
    Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  4. happystew

happystew Bit Poster

Nope, defentiely got a A and B!

Cheers, any good way of wording achievements or any examples please?

Certifications: Bsc Hons Computer & Network Support
    WIP: MCITP
  5. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Thats odd

"It's graded similar to GNVQ - modules are graded, rather than the HND award itself - Pass, Merit and Distinction with Distinction the highest grade and Pass the lowest grade."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higher_National_Diploma

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, anything that stands out from the ordinary first off.
    Have you been part of, or in charge of, a project that had a specific purpose?
    Did it achieve that purpose or exceed it?

Did you make any suggestions to help improve something, or change the way things were done for the better?

Sometimes these things might seem trivial to us at the time, but they can sound good.
    They only need to be written out briefly so it can be things like 'worked on a review board tasked with reducing internal email by 15% which we achieved within the required timescale'.

If you really don't think you've done anything remarkable, look at your KPIs or your personal reviews (assuming you've had them). If you were tasked to respond to support tickets within a certain timescale and you always did so, then say 'Always exceeded support SLA' or something like that.

Just think of ways of saying that you were good at your job, rather than just describing what it was you were supposed to be doing.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD