CV Review - Applying for a new job

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Danshand, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Danshand

Danshand Nibble Poster

Hello All,

Currently looking to leave my existing organisation and move somewhere that has a larger IT infrastructure. I am hoping to get my teeth more into Vmware, Storage and AD/Exchange at a more advanced level. I am just wondering if somebody with my experience would be able to break into this kind of role?

Please take a look at my CV and comment on it, I would appreciate any constructive criticism. It would be great if anybody would comment on whether or not I could get into the type of job im looking for too.

Thanks,

Dan.

Attached Files:

Certifications: Many.
    WIP: MCITP, ITIL
  2. Danshand

Danshand Nibble Poster

Anybody?

3. OnFire

OnFire Nibble Poster

You asked for it!! :)

I would look to combine the "Areas of experience" and "Technology Experience" as it just seems to duplicate but going into more detail.

Under your last/current job you have a list which again seems duplicated from these areas.

Your CV is nicely laid out and does have some strong points. The main issue I have with it is that it is too generic for the position you are looking for. Ideally this will need tayloring to each position you apply for.....to give an example for a VMware role you have bearly mentioned this other than setting up ESXi servers.

If you can expand on this to confirm how many hosts, use of vCenter, version numbers, HA/DRS cluster set up, shared storage - FC/iSCSI and at least mention vSphere. Same with AD/Exchange - Forest trusts, site to site replication, clustering, OWA, etc.

All in it needs more detail than just words.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: None....at last!!
  4. Danshand

Danshand Nibble Poster

Thanks for response. I would have thought the interview was to give more time to look into the fine details of exactly what I know in regards to AD/Vmware etc? Since putting this searchable on job sites I have had a fairly positive response, but I see what you mean about it repeating itself. I will try edit it a little and change those parts around.

I have been working for a small business recently and want to get back into a big IT team, so hoping to aim my CV at that kind of area.