CV opinions and suggestions

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by SolitaryGunman, Jan 24, 2008.

1. SolitaryGunman

SolitaryGunman New Member

Hi,

I am currently applying for entry level IT jobs and would really like peoples opinions and suggestions in regards to improving my CV.

Any help would be great.

Many thanks,

SolitaryGunman

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

First things first, I personally think the "Profile" part needs scraping and re-doing. It *really* doesn't do anything for me, maybe make it a few sentences longer with abit more backbone in it. The second word being "thoughtful" would probably make me throw the CV away there and then.

Maybe its just me who feels this way, will have to see other people's comments :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

Personally I would remove the Referee's, there not needed until a job offer has been accepted and its taking up valuable space for selling yourself.

I would also consider swapping your Skills and Employment history around so your skill list hits the reader earlier on and usually I would only place maybe the last 2 jobs, so you could remove the car rental and Antique delivery jobs both of which are not IT related so can affored to skip.

Like nXPLOSi said you could maybe strengthen your profile a little.

But these are just my oppinions, either way your CV is good :)

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  4. TimoftheC

TimoftheC Kilobyte Poster

Good point nx, I prefer to use the word conscientious.

I don't think it's too bad SG but maybe you could elaborate just a little, I do know, pad it out a bit whilst keeping it to two pages (maybe expand the margins). I like the lay out to it but it just seems to be lacking substance a bit - or maybe that's just me:biggrin

Certifications: A+; Network+
    WIP: MCDST???
  5. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

My viewpoint is North American driven, so take it as you wish…
    Agreed with nXPLOSi about the PROFILE section. I might use words like ‘experienced’. I don’t like the Profile section at all though.

Normally I’d say move Education section. If you have experience, start with that and skills at the top. Education takes a back seat to real experience. Can you add some volunteer experience? I think you may want to get some.

I’d drop the LEISURE INTERESTS section too, and have 3 referrals.

6. SolitaryGunman

SolitaryGunman New Member

Thanks for all the comments and sugestions. I will take them on board and make some changes. I agree that the profile needs work.

Thanks again, its been a great help.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+