CV Help!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Rich0811, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Rich0811

Rich0811 Bit Poster

Hey,

Finally got round to writing a general CV. However it is my first attempt at writing one so im sure there are a lot of improvements to be made and things which shouldnt be included. (i dont have a lot to include in my CV due to only just coming out of education and having a part time job).

One question which i have been wondering is; whether or not i should include into the CV that i attended university from Sep 2009 - July 2010 for one year? (Reason for leaving was that i didnt enjoy the course and wanted to persue a career in IT)

It would be very appreciated if anyone can read over my first draft and maybe suggest ideas to how i can improve it and make it more professional. My hobbies section seems to be like a filler and not sure if it is relevant to include or not.

Any advice would be great.

Thanks,
    Rich

Attached Files:

WIP: A+
  2. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'm going to work through from bottom to top for variety, hobbies sections are a horrendous evil blight on the world but with your lack of experience probably quite useful in this case. I'd drop any mention of website memberships however, and look at fleshing some of the details out. If hobbies and interests are going to help at all you need to give a potential employer some idea why they should care (and don't mention it if they shouldn't).

Move mention of your self study into the education section, thats where they'll expect to see any mention of qualifications after all.

You education and employment history are both incredibly thin but theres not a huge amount you can do to improve matters as far as the education is concerned. Employment wise, try and think about anything you've done as part of your job which will be of interest, everything from operating the tills to reorganising shelves can be turned in to useful CV material.

Skills, apart from the typo in Microsoft Excel I think the biggest problem here is that all you've got is a list of software. Try and give some idea what your level of skill is, theres a big difference between basic and advanced.

Your Personal Profile currently tells me nothing useful, the onyl impression it does give is that someone told you you needed a personal profile so you crammed two lines in with little thought to their purpose. Really put some time into writing a new one, with your lack of experience and qualifications this one paragraph is whats likely to make the difference between the interview and the bin.

Overall your CV doesn't give much sense of you, it comes across as very generic and lacking in detail.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  3. Rich0811

Rich0811 Bit Poster

yeah this was my worry that it was far too generalised, i used an online CV template so that it why as you said about the personal profile section.

I will take your advice into account and start again. Much appreciated

Thanks,
    Rich

WIP: A+
  4. brizzoluk

brizzoluk Kilobyte Poster

Hi, i thought i would jump on this thread rather than start another one.

Would anyone be kind enough to have a glance over my cv that i have just finished writing.
    Any tips or criticism welcomed!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2010
    Certifications: ECDL, A+
    WIP: Network+
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

It's nice and clean, I'll give you that much.
    It's difficult when starting out, as you don't have a lot to pad your CV with, but you've managed hobbies and interests well.

As has already been mentioned, your personal profile needs to be fleshed out - but I find that's an area you can work on for each application you make - fill it with the stuff they are looking for.

The skills you list aren't skills, they're software applications. Are you average at using them, expert, or did you help write them? Give us some idea of your level of ability.

And you've got a line on the bottom of page one that should be at the top of page two. I can never remember if it's a widow or an orphan that way round.

Good start though.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Well, it may be better in its own thread to avoid confusion about which one is being commented on. :biggrin

You've got a lot of issues here - but most of them easy to rectify.

Lose the border - it looks like an obituary.
    Lose your DOB - don't need it.
    Stick to one font - it looks as if you have a few in there.
    To say you are pursuing your dream job makes you sound self-serving. Re-word it to make it sound as if you're doing it for their benefit.
    Given that it's a short CV, I'd say a bit more about your education and qualifications.
    What does qualified user of Office 2007 mean?
    There are a few typos throughout, for instance, shouldn't it be lorry-mounted crane rather than 'lorry Mounted crane'.

Overall, it's a good start but my main concern is that lots of the issues seem to be down to how you have formatted the document. There is clearly a mix of fonts, and I think that 'Mounted' was probably an auto-correction because you've started a new line rather than used tabs. This would ring alarm bells, especially as you are playing your experience and qualifications with Office as one of your trump cards.

Sorry if that sounds harsh...
    :oops:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD