CV help

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Sparky, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Everyone seems to be asking for C.V advice so here goes.

Things are “up and down” (that’s the polite way of putting it) at work just now so I need to update my CV so I’m prepared for searching for the next job.

For once I have plenty of experience to put on my C.V but I’m not sure how to present it. For example do I list it job by job or do I just list projects and other relevant experiences over my whole IT career to date.

I have listed it job by job so far but I have just realised that my current job has a few lines whereas a helpdesk job I did years ago has a full paragraph, need to sort that out! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have an Experience section where I list what I know how to do (Experienced with routers, switches, and firewalls, including Cisco, Watchguard, Check Point, and SonicWall) that is separate from my Work History section, where I summarize my job requirements for each job in one or two sentences (Provided on-site and remote network and security services for clients).

If they want to know exactly what I worked on for each individual job, they can ask me during the interview. What's important is that I've had experience with certain technologies, which they can ascertain easily by looking at my Experience bullet points... not by having to wade through sentences (and paragraphs) in my attempt to not leave any grain of information out of a Work History explanation. In other words... I shouldn't have to repeat over and over that I worked on Cisco routers in my explanations for Tennessee Orthopaedic, AND iNet Strategy, AND Bytes of Knowledge... I should simply have to say that 1) I have experience with Cisco routers, and 2) I worked for these three companies doing network support (which could include any of the stuff in my Experience section).

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Thanks for the tip. I have read over my CV and I am not happy with it so I need to invest some serious time to get it right. :onthePC

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs