CV For review, pretty please

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Povester, Feb 23, 2010.

1. Povester

Povester Bit Poster

Hi all,

I'm currently looking to apply for some new roles that I have seen advertised recently. Currently I am working as an IT Support Admin. It's only a small company so the role is pretty hands so my experience is fairly stretched across many areas as opposed to being focused on one. I am looking to move into a 2nd/3rd line role.

If you could take a look at my CV and give me your criticisms and suggestions I would really appreciate it.

Thanks,
    Mark.

Attached Files:

2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Hi

I am going to comment as I read through so forgive unstructured post.
    Also in case it sound too harsh at times, I do apologise in advance - no offense meant.

Profile - overall not too bad. However it could with some grammar tweaks. First sentence is too short and it doesn't sound right when read out loud. (Try yourself).

After profile you could put some achievements - what you have done that other candidates haven't. This is something that might get you a job. It certainly won't do any harm. Imagine that you've done something (migration, redeployment, infrastructure work, application deployment, etc.) and however it's not listed in the job description that's what your new employer is planning to do (or has a contract to do) in the near future. You can gain a lot of points for this one. Consider it.

I would put skill section as well and list technologies you've worked with so potential recruiter does not have to read all you work experience section to find out if you've worked with certain technology before. At the moment when employers get 100's of CV's per role I don't think they're bothered to read it fully unless skills they're looking for are clearly visible and almost rubbed in their face.

Work experience - your strong point. Try to shorten it up a bit. Seems bit too wordy and dragged out. Drop the first sentence "Currently working ....". Also it doesn't seem right that you say "Duties include..." that a sentence or two and then you continue in bullet points (those are your duties too, no? ). Some of those duties could actually be reworded for achievements and you would benefit more.
    Cat5 cabling - what about Cat 5e or Cat 6? Change to UTP.

Job from 2000 could do without description especially if they're not relevant to the role you're applying for.

References - you don't have a choice. They want them - you have to provide them or you won't get the job. Take it out.

Other than that it's not too bad. Your exposure to multiple technologies is your strong point. Make it visible bit more.

My personal thoughts.

Regards

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Povester

Povester Bit Poster

Thanks alot Luke, really appreciate your thoughts. I totally agree with all the points you have made. Think I'll sit down and spend a few hours working on it. Thanks again.

4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Um, qualifications? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs