CV for Perusal - Revision 1

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by kevicho, Jul 16, 2008.

1. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

What do you guys reckon, its a first draft, so will check spelling etc later, but my current role is coming to an end next month so will need to get the word out there again.

Thanks for the input, both constructive and otherwise :)

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Kevicho, not a bad CV at all as all I'd add to that is check for spelling and grammer correction as well as remove the hobbies bit from the CV as well and including the profile section.

The profile aspect you can talk about whilst at the interview and including your hobbies if appropriate. Cheerio and best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Hades

Hades Nibble Poster

I have given it a quick glance at the moment (will probably give it detailed look later) but that looks very good. :D

Only thing I would suggest is maybe cut a few of the older jobs out to make it up to 2 pages.

I personally only ever leave the previous 3 jobs I had, thats usually more than enough for them.

Certifications: City & Guilds Diploma in ICT level 2+3
  4. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Thanks, I used the sticky "write a killer CV" thread above for guidance about layout, my CV was different before, but had lots of bullet points, I tried as the article suggested to get the impact in the first page, but I must admit kinda like the look of this new one.

Looking at the article "Step 5: Profile and skills on front page exactly match requirements. --> keep"

So will give that a try, the hobbies part im 50/50 on, it may as well stay as my CV creeps onto a 3rd page anyway so dont want to have too much white space, and if they are not interested then they wont read that far anyways lol

Oh, just did a spell check, nothing wrong apparently, will be going through it with a fine toothed comb before uploading to several job websites lol

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

the margins seem a little wide, make them smaller and you'll be able to cram alot more detail into your contract roles

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Looks quite good.

I'd lose the hobbies and interests section though and also, as previously suggested, widen the margins slightly. Try to keep it to 2 pages too.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ok, removed hobbies, widened borders, fits to 2 pages.

Also Changed summary: to role summary: might take it out as surely the people reading it would know what it is.

8. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Good to hear:) so it's roll on the next contract now.

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  9. steve_f

steve_f Byte Poster

Only had a chance for a quick skim.

This line sounds like it was reworded at some point and the word "wise" should have been taken out.

"Built 2 networks from scratch for clients, both with high uptime and meeting the clients needs for both security and usability wise."

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA 2003+Messaging, MCITP:SA, MCSA 2008, ITIL v3 Foundation, Comptia Server+ 2009, CCA Xenapp 6.5, VCP5-DV
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA, CCSA
  10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Reworded a lot of it, also changed the headings to centralised as they seemed to blend in too much especially with the work roles.

Attached Files:

11. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

looks good kev, I just realised from reading this that we share a few similarities in work history and IT experience and certs, so it was almost like looking at my IT CV :D

,now however, if you''ll forgive me putting on my old english teacher's hat on ... :twisted

Your work summary seems a little disorganised to me ...

you use "originally a ## month contract", a few times, maybe that you could change this to "rolling 3 month contract renewed 3 times" or something .. only so as that you're not repeating your words.

Also the job titles eg
    Job / Contracting for Contract IT / August 2007 – July 2008 (Contract)

so, it was a contract job eh? :P

Job / September 2006

you can say that this would be freelance ;)

To assist the reader maybe you can use tabs to break up the lines so the dates employed, job title, employer, etc are in the same place on the page
    ie
    Feb 2005 - May 2005 ICT Service Analyst *Company Name
    Rolling 1 month contract to assist with support calls during new helpdesk system implementation

Sep 2006 Freelance *company who paid you
    Installation and configuration of network on SBS 2003 for a dozen users, including Exchange
    2003 and VPN services, security and user profile considerations, also migration of data and CRM data
    etc,etc

**edit** this didnt show up well .. the idea was that there are 3 columns in the top line date - job title - company and the job description was lined up under the job title and company name, leaving the date clearly visible in the first column, but this doesnt show the spaces between the columns ****

Another thought was, would the Certs and Quals section fit on the first page? Then all your work history would be on the same page.

HTH
    /wassup

12. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i still think you should bulk out the spare space you have, you're trying to sell your self so you need to include as much as possible as it seems a little bare for 9 years experience. Go through all your jobs and specify what you had to do there, what you learnt, who you were supporting, what technologies were you using etc etc

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

More info perhaps? Was it two PCs on a LAN or was it a full Windows domain? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

I haven't finished reading all of it yet, but under your profile I would change the ending of the last sentence. IMO "new challenging role" sounds a bit off. I'd go with "new and challenging role" or "challenging new role". I dunno, it's late; I may just be reading it wrong or it sounds weird in my head.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+
  15. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Cheers guys, bit busy at work at the mo, but all sounds good pointers

16. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

new and improved?

Attached Files:

17. Wassup

Wassup Byte Poster

looking good ... I presume you are going to replace 'Job' with actual employer names ;)

although it seems strange to go from Network Manager down to helpdesk then to 1st line, it doesn't seem like a natural progression, I'd've thought it would go the other way round, in terms of career advancement!

I think the layout looks very clear and easy to read.

18. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Well 2 reasons really

One i went from working at a small company, with the budget for any sort of IT set to 0, and also i didnt have the hours really, to a larger company where I had a mentor type figure.

The 2nd well to be honest in the past ive really undersold myself, its only the past year or two ive really gained confidence to kinda sell myself, ive always had faith in my abilities, but hated saying that as it sounded like boasting, but i suppose its not, as long as you word it correctly.

I guess its just as you get older and wiser, certainly in the job market.

19. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Couldn't agree more.

To sell yourself, even if you appreciate that you're good at what you do, is very difficult for some people.

I remember having to complete a CV and a report telling the potential interviewer how brilliant I was. It was absolutely awful. Actually, it's embarrassing to be frank.

20. volatile

volatile Nibble Poster

I'll break up my opinion according to the sections in your resume.

COMMERCIAL EXPERIENCE
    =======================
    The Commerical Experience seem to rehash a lot of what is stated in your work experience. I would just use that area to just list out the different technologies and operating systems you have used to help summarize what is listed in your job experience section. Let the job experience section quantify what you actually did. I would do something like:

Core Competencies:
    Operating Systems: Windows 2000/XP/Vista, Windows Server 2000/2003/2008
    Languages: HTML
    Software: <Some data backup software>, Active Directory, etc.

Also, under commercial experience you list Trend Micro as spam filtering software you have used. Trend Micro is a software company not the product. You should specify what, exactly, you used.

WORK SUMMARY
    =======================
    On a couple of the work summary listings you list only one bullet and it's not very descriptive. You could sell yourself better on those job experiences. For example, you state that you rolled out 40 units in 3 days. What was required to make them deployable? Did you install the OS? Did you set up security? Did you migrate old data to the new computers? You see where I'm going with this.

Nov 04 - April 05 (Desktop Support Technician)
    * You created and deployed the company website. What technologies and languages did you use to deploy? Was there testing and defect resolution done?

In general there are a few entries that you can be more specific and brag about to let them in on what exactly you did. One example is that you used "documentation" as a job responsibility you did in many of your positions but you don't exactly specify what was documented and how it improved anything. If you documented systems and that included documenting specs, users, asset tags...that could be applied to improving asset management. Or you say you managed a network or active directory but you don't specify the the number of end users you were supporting. I don't wanna seem like I am nitpicking because, overall, your resume is ok. But you can still improve it to sell yourself. Avoid being too general in your descriptions.

Sorry if I'm being too critical. I just think you may be selling yourself short.

Certifications: Computer Science Degree, A+