CV Comments

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Jaron78, Jun 17, 2010.

1. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Hi Guys,

Have re-written my CV and would like some pointers please.

Hope you dont mind,

Many Thanks.

Ron

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  2. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I'll have a look but in the meantime take it off and edit it so no personal details are visible.
    This is a public forum after all.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  3. Jaron78

Editied :)

4. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Cool.

I'll type as I read through so forgive lack of structure.

I don't like bold profile and Tahoma font. Arial seems nicer to me (try selecting everything and changing to Arial).
    Also whole CV looks like a wall of text.
    I have my CV laid out like this:

Contact details (same as yours)
    Achievements
    Skills
    Coursework & certifications
    Experience
    Education
    Additional info

Your profile seems ok (could do with little tweaking but generally it's not too bad).
    Any projects you have finished successfully that could go into achievements section? This has been a deal breaker for me in every job I applied for.
    Try to boost skills section. What you know, what you can do. More on IT and more fancy keywords (agencies look for keywords)

Experience section seems way too long and not relevant so much. Try to shorten it up a bit (at least for older jobs). Basically everything that's non-IT relevant and older than 5 years is just a waste of space (unless you're struggling to fill the CV - doesn't seem to be the case)

Education seems ok, could do with layout tweaking.

Interests section is a waste of space too. That's my opinion however. Some people are happy with their interests section. I never had any on my CV and if employer wanted to know that's what the interview is for.
    But to be fair if I was hiring I couldn't care less what you do in your spare time. As long as you're not doing something I don't want you to do. So it feels safer not to put anything.

Generally content is not too bad but layout sucks.

Sorry if this sounds too harsh, didn't mean to. :D

Good luck

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010
  5. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I didn’t think the font selection was a problem. I use a similar one so I can get more text on the page in comparison to arial.

The CV does read like a wall of text though, perhaps less bullet points for each job?

I would also ditch the personal interests as well…

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

You're right there Sparky. I've actually changed my CV to Tahoma 9pt now too! :twisted:

It's getting harder and harder to keep it within 2 pages.

7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Versions, versions, versions.

apart from everything above on formatting (it is a bit wall of texty), this is my major comment. Make it clear which versions of the various operating systems and software you've worked with. Which technologies did you use for the tasks you've carried out, for instance:

becomes

Your looking for keyword hits, even if its a hiring manager rather than a recruiter looking at your CV they are going to skim through it first time looking for the relevant words so make sure they are in there.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  8. Jaron78

Cheers guys, will make amendments as I go :)