CV comments if anybody could be so kind.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Markyboyt, May 23, 2008.

1. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

I have just written my CV out and would really appreciate it if anybody would be kind enough to cast their eye over it and maybe give a bit of honest feed back. I will be looking for entry level jobs and am currently working towards A+ with the assistance of Mr Meyers.

Thank you.

WIP: A+
  2. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Look at the sticky threads on the subject of CV's, your missing a lot of tricks.

Experience could be broken down in to smaller chunks or bullets.

Career Summary & history should be merged ie each company with what you did underneath.
    I wouldn't write down any reasons for leaving, if its a issue you will be asked in the interview or they will have a section on a application form that you maybe asked to fill out at the interview.

I actually had the job of interviewing people for a IT job in 2006 and i had to go through well over 200 CV's. I couldnt believe the amount of novels people had written.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  3. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi Marky,

while i agree with whats been said, i would have thought your'e BMW tech status could earn you a decent wad? even on the side, but hey its not always about money. Good luck whatever.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  4. Markyboyt

Thanks for your reply andi.
    I did look at the killer CV article and have read a few other peoples threads on CV's, maybe ill have another snoop round.

The points you make are both sections i was dubious about, i wrote about safeway so clear up why my history shows me working there for a year despite having a new job, maybe i was worrying too much.

The experience section i was ideally aiming for a bullet point layout but was struggling to make effective bullet points, of course once i started writing an essay develops. Looking at it layout wise it does seem a big blob of text which i was trying to avoid

5. supernova

I agree

Also, the safeway stuff could be important ... especially if you had customer service experiance.

Andi

6. supernova

Loads of people start off with a full time job and part-time job... or several part-time jobs.

Just put at the bottom of safeway.... Continued working for safeway on a part-time bases for n months long side full time employment .. something like that???

Andi

7. Markyboyt

In my location it currently earns me around £18k, i am in a position whereby i could take senior technicians assessment and command more money. Would I pass? quite possibly but at the end of the day its just a test, granted it is a series of practical test and does test your diagnostic skills, but it still doesnt really prove real world ability. My manager wants me to take senior technicians, for me personally I dont feel having the title will make me a senior, im not on the level of the 2 other seniors at our place and for me i would feel a fraud.

and as you point out its not always about money and in deciding on a career switch i have had to look beyond money and to my own job satisfaction. I still get a lot of satisfaction knowing ive sent a car out fixed and the jobs done properly, but general job satisfaction is down, plus my hearts not in cars, i love the technology and the computer side.
    The way i see it, im not happy doing the job, im much more at home on computers, making the switch will almost definately mean taking a pay cut despite me currently managing to spend all money I earn, but its a sacrifice i feel i need to make and at present i am in the best position i will be to make the switch, currently i live at home still so a lot of my outgoings are material and will just have to be reduced.

8. Markyboyt

OK i have made a few tweaks, here is the next draft.
    thanks

9. Markyboyt

My name looks so much better in green :lol:

10. Markyboyt

if i post this on sites like monster and such, can i adjust it once ive submitted it should it require it?

11. disarm

disarm Byte Poster

I would re-write the personal profile as the writing perspective changes, i.e.

"A committed, motivated individual with a passion for IT and a pride in his work.
    Currently a qualified motor vehicle technician holding BMW technician status, but looking to challenge myself by making the jump into a career in IT where I feel my true passion lies."

The words in bold would be "himself" and "he feels his", to keep it from the same perspective, but I wouldn't be happy with that. Instead I'd have something on the lines of "and is seeking to secure a challenging role in IT Support", or something like that.

12. Markyboyt

Thanks for your reply, i have now tweaked it again.