CV and cover letter help and advise please!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Nursa, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

I have been advised by my local college, and members of this forum that I could be applying for entry level desktop support type roles with my 2 year full time BTEC in computing cert, I am also just starting to sefl study A+ to brush up on my skills, and studying N+ at college.

I passed the BTEC course around 4 years ago now but since then I have not worked in IT (stupid me). I have however been working in a customer services / helpdesk role within a industrial machine repair company for 4 years, fun lol )

I am looking for some advice and maybe a sample as to what and how my CV and cover letter should say and look. Obviously I need to play on my customer sevice experience, but are there any website with examples, or could anybody post examples so I have an idea where to start to create a CV without any IT experience. I haven't written a CV for since I started the job I'm in now and any help would be appreciated. Should I write on my cover letter that I'm studying towards more certs, if so should this go on the cover letter or CV?

Thanks in advance!

Certifications: BTEC in Computing
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

As someone who has reviewed resumes and interviewed people for employment, I will tell you this: I couldn't care less what certifications you're studying for. Anyone can say they're studying for anything - how does that help the employer? I care only about the certifications you've actually achieved and the experience you've got.

You don't need anything to apply for entry-level tech jobs... not certifications, not a degree, not anything. Certainly those things help make your CV look more attractive... but they're not typically required.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

Fair points, taken on board! Can it actually do more harm than good to say you are studying for a cert then? Some employers may be looking for people showing that they are learning new skills!?

Any advice as to what to write on my cover letter or CV for employers to take note then on getting a first IT job then? Or links to sites that could help.

Thanks

4. BosonMichael

Eh, I don't think it does any harm, necessarily, other than the fact that you've got only 15 seconds of the reader's attention in order to grab them. Anything that might distract the reader away from more important info isn't necessarily a good thing.

Some employers may be looking for people who show they are learning new skills. But I almost take it for granted that someone who HAS certifications are likely continuing to learn new skills. I will almost certainly ask during the interview.

I'd recommend making it as clean as possible. Again, you've got 15 seconds to impress them. Make the most of those 15 seconds.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  5. homeboyguru

homeboyguru New Member

I had this same problem and my friend suggested I used a professional CV writing organisation. I was unsure about going this way but I had been trying to get interviews and nothing was working. I went with this company called ** **** and they where great. I had regular contact with them and the put together a great CV in which I got a job from it.

I no it sounds risky but in the long run its worth it. Well it was for me anyway!!! :D:D:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2009
  6. Nursa

Nursa Bit Poster

Which company was it mate?

7. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Did you not get a heady whiff of spam when you read that post?

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  8. batblade2001

batblade2001 New Member

I have been applying for loads of jobs through websites like Jobsite, CWJobs, Reed etc...

How important is the Cover Letter when applying to these jobs (99% of which are through agencies).

My cover letter is very basic at this moment, do agencies really read through the cover letters or do they just look at the CV's?

9. BosonMichael

I dunno about agencies... but employers do.

10. daft_togger

daft_togger Nibble Poster

Yes, having to go via agencies is a major pain for me......you can go to a small number of employers directly these days unless it's on a speculative basis.

I know recruitment consultants and they themselves tell me that they get too many CV's to really take too much time to review them.....that you only have a short time to impress (so 15 seconds sounds about right).....so with the current roles they are looking to fill, they basically scan you CV looking for skills that match those current roles....if not, you'll get the standard reply....cv will be held on file !

So when you CV falls into the Agencies Abyss.....what then ? I'd suggest calling them up every few weeks, just to make them aware that you are still on the market and to keep them refreshed....but not to the point where you are becoming a pain.....

I'm about to start looking for a new role myself and not looking forward to it....but needs must !

Certifications: 70-290, 70-620
    WIP: 70-291