cv advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by dales, Aug 29, 2010.

1. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Hi all, I've been playing around with my cv recently and whilst I have been getting calls fairly regularly they seen to be mostly FS engineers or desktop support. I'm looking really for a server based job or a sys admin for a smaller company. I guess I would consider a side step as long as it was an AD based shop and the money was the same or better depending on how far away it was.

Anyway I just realised that as I was scrubbing the personals out of my cv that my current role has alot of desktop support stuff listed so thats probably why I'm getting hits for those roles.

I do not have alot of formatting in the cv either which makes it look kinda boring I guess but then I dont want to put boxouts and tables all over the shop either. Anybody got any other input into my cv, also what about those online cv checking services has anyone ever used them?

Attached Files:

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

I'd lose the DOB for a start personally.

The job history isn't good im afraid. Its a wall of text (It was pretty much TL:DR for me, and im not sifting through CV's looking for candidates). You need to cut it down to a very brief description (if you must include it at all), and a bulleted list of roles and responsibiities, you can also include in that list key technologies you made use of.

You also only list two jobs, it took me a while to notice that the last couple of paragraphs were actually descriptions of other jobs. Either give them the same treatment you gave the first two jobs, or dont include them at all.

It also uses personal pronouns - I wouldn't recommend using this anywhere except your Profile section (and even then only if you must).

Edit: Oh, and you make no mention of the fact you are looking for as sysadmin job, so its little wonder you arent getting any hits for it to be honest.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

You mention that you have virtualised “our” servers in your personal statement, that doesn’t read well. Perhaps change the wording here.

Also you say you have virtualised 40 servers?!? What was involved in this? Did you plan\design\buy the kit to do all of this or were other parties involved here.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Adding to what already has been said:

1. Take out the professional certifications from the Skills & Knowledge section and place them in the Education/Qualification (you can rename it) section.

2. You use your postnominals, but you don't stated that your a professional member of the BCS. Add another section call something along the lines of "Professional Memberships" and list it there, not everyone knows what all the different post-nominals mean and not everyone will look them up.

3. Try not to repeat yourself, you've mentioned 7 years 3 times. Added to that the jobs you've listed only totals 5 year (even though you've listed previous jobs in a paragraph). Remember the first 30 seconds are vital.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Thanks for the advice guys, I've never really actually used my cv in anger before, I've always been able to take my time and choose jobs which have always used application forms, I'll take your advice on board and change my cv appropriately cheers guys!

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
  6. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

Fergal thanks for the input, if I replace my current roles paragraph with something like :

Duties include:
    • Managing and maintaining 60+ server backend comprising of a mix of Microsoft, Linux and Netware servers mainly hosted on a VMware ESX infrastructure.
    • Hardware installation, maintenance and upgrading of the server infrastructure mainly based on HP and Dell products.
    • VMware ESX and Virtualcenter administration, maintenance and installation
    • Novell E-Directory administration
    • Extreme Summit switch configuration and installation
    • Messaging and remote access administration based on Citrix Presentation Server, Groupwise and Novell Virtual Office products
    • Support of 350+ staff members with Windows XP/7 on the desktop with standard, in-house and open source applications.

is that along the right lines instead of people having to dig around the paragraph this way all the information is there fairly concisely.