CV advice please?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by rickjames, Jan 16, 2012.

1. rickjames

rickjames Bit Poster

Hey there, just looking for some advice on where I'm going wrong?

Been applying for the odd thing here and there whilst studying for my A+, primarily ones I believe I can do that don't require 3 years or so of helpdesk experience. I've a little school/IT experience but it was nothing more than running some basic system update and giving the computers in each dorm (around 1300) a wipedown and inventory check.

Any tips would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

First up, I would highly recommend not uploading a copy of your CV with personal details in it. This is a publicly available forum, and you have no idea who will take your details (and potentially commit identity theft).

Your profile switches between first and third person. Pick one and stick to it (Personally I would suggest Third).

The layout of your work history is, well, terrible to be honest. It's hard to see at a glance when you worked and in what role. I would amend the layout somewhat. On mine I have the Company on the left in bold, the dates on the right in bold, the job title on the next line (left aligned). Then under that I have a bulleted list of responsibilities for the role. This allows employers to see very clearly where I worked, when, and as what.

Education and Qualifications should be merged. I can see from your education section where you attended, but that information is irrelevant to me, largely because I have no idea what you did there. I would lay it out similar to my suggestion for Work History, but use the bulleted list for qualifications.

Drop hobbies. It's a pet peeve of mine, but I firmly believe that hobbies and interests have no place on a CV. If they want to know what I do in my spare time, they can ask at interview. The CV is solely for showcasing your skills and experience as they relate to the job.

Also try to pad out your CV somewhat (if you expand your responsibilities in work history, and change the layout, this will help somewhat). You have a lot of white space on your second page, try to fill it as much as possible (without falling into the "Wall of Text" trap). Simply adding a blank line between the section header, and the start of the text will help with this a little (and make it more readable to boot)

Finally, I dont think the font works. It doesnt look particularly good to my eye. Arial is much better (and Calibri seems to work not bad either). Also drop the all caps sections (section headers, and your address, etc). It's actually much easier for our minds to process proper cased text, than it is to process block capitals (particularly for Dyslexics I believe).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present