CV advice after and review plaese

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by han.net, Feb 1, 2011.

1. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hi there,

I posted a thread few days ago in the Training & Developing section http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/thread42947.html

which was about an academy called FDM .
    To summarize it, I was advised to stay away from them and even to take my CCNA from my CV to avoid being over qualified!
    Im not sure if that was 100% correct, so I’m attaching 2 copies of my CV , before and after taking my CCNA off .
    I would really appreciate it if you could consider the following points:

• I feel like my CV after editing still need some work as I think it’s not very clear how I managed to earn those skills .

• I m about to start my MCITP course, and not sure if I should include that, or that’s again would be considered over qualified!

• What sort of jobs that I should apply for and what agencies you would recommend.

View attachment Forum-CV1.doc

View attachment Forum-CV2.doc
    Many thanks for your opinion.

2. zet

zet Byte Poster

I think the layout is nice. I'm not so well versed on C.V's that include experience - but skimming it I think you have the right balance of information (not too much, not too little). Just one thing - you should put your name and contact details at the top :P

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good CV mate 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. nephilim

nephilim Bit Poster

very well laid out, might even use this template for mine!!

You dont look over qualified with the CCNA at all, just shows you have passed the exam with a good pass rate

Certifications: Comptia A+, MCSE,
    WIP: CCNA, CCNP, CCIE, MCDBA
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You would be correct to put your name and contact at the top of the CV. Obviously not in a forum setting as this would not be a good idea with confidentiality and people stealing other people's identity.

I like the CV straight to the point and not putting waffling information would make you stand out in the crowd. All the best and let us know how the job hunt is going:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Am I looking at the same thing as you guys? right off the bat the first thing I noticed was how cramped and hard to differentiate between sections it was. I don't like the lines going across the entire page.

The references available on request should go. Key technical skills should go before any education. The content is really good! it's just the horrendous presentation that let's it down.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. AgentDRL

AgentDRL Nibble Poster

Totally agree westernkings. I thought I must be looking at the wrong CV. The content is there no doubt, but it's a little cramped and needs spacing out a little. Just a little more care on the presentation and this CV is a winner :)

Certifications: ITIL v3, A+, Network+
  8. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

^^^ what they said, very cramped and painful to read.

As an added note, reduce the blurb about your older jobs, they aren't relevent to the kind of roles you're applying for now.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  9. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Many thanks for all the guys replies, I will take the cramping issue into consideration, and would appreciate it if you could answer these points which I already included in my previous post:

• Should I stick to the advice to take my CCNA off from my CV as it would make me over qualified?

• If that was the case, then should I take off some of the technical skills that was gained by my CCNA , otherwise it would look bit odd . They would think how did I get those skills if I don’t have it within my experience?

• Im about to start my MCITP: EA, should Include that in my CV ? or not and should that be with my CCNA or without ?

Appreciate your kind help

Regards

10. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Special thanks to you Simon, I have looked after my spelling!

Can you please be more specific on reducing the blurb? They would still need to know about my previous roles, right and back round.

Regards

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
  11. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

1) No, I would keep it on. You have experience supporting Cisco devices albeit on a helpdesk. Your whole professional IT experience to date is based around Cisco and it looks rather strange having just walked into that role without any previous knowledge.

2) Working towards MCITP:EA should also be listed.

12. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

The content on your CV is very good, I agree it is slightly cramped though... we don't want a potential employer to miss key points.

13. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hi all,

That was very kind of all of you .

I have posted another thread earlier in the Training and developing section and got an extreme advice on taking my CCNA off from my CV as that would make me over qualified. Can you guys advise me further as I confused now.

in addition , I have noticed a very interesting thing here "No, I would keep it on. You have experience supporting Cisco devices albeit on a helpdesk. Your whole professional IT experience to date is based around Cisco and it looks rather strange having just walked into that role without any previous knowledge." That makes all sense, however its completely conflict with the advice on taking the CCNA off and the fact that CCNA made a harm to my career and it’s Not for people to get into IT.

I will refer this opinion to other people who gave that advice previously and see what they think.

Regards

14. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

What do people think about putting certification logos onto there CV?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  15. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

As long as it doesn't look tacky the it will be OK.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  16. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I will say the same thing I said in the other thread: it depends on your experience and the job that you are applying for.

Note - my first post in your previous thread began with, "Unless some of that 6-month experience is working with Cisco gear..."; I didn't say, "You don't have Cisco administration experience." If you have Cisco administration experience, then the only question is whether the employer is looking for someone with a CCNA or not.

- If you have Cisco router administration experience, and you are applying for a job that could include Cisco router administration, leave it on.
    - If you have Cisco router administration experience, but you are applying for a job that isn't likely to include Cisco router administration, you can leave it on, but it might make you look overqualified for the job. I would consider removing it, but the choice is yours.
    - If you don't have Cisco router administration experience, and you are applying for a job that could include Cisco router administration, you can leave it on, but be realistic in your expectations of getting the job without experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I do, but I only include a few. They're small, and they're placed in the upper right hand corner of my resume, where they're not in the way of anything else.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Well you have my CV in your hand , and you can tell me :

Do I have Cisco Admintration or not ?

What other job that I should apply to a part from some Cisco related ?

Thanks

19. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Han,

Here is a copy of my most recent CV, this is the kind of thing I mean when it comes to cutting out on the blurb.

As far as CCNA is concerned, it really should be a certification for someone with 12+ months exposure to Cisco equipment, not just service desk exposure but hands on day in day out. In all honesty so should the MCITP:EA, this is a course designed for someone with more than a passing exposure to Enterprise level architecture.

Exposure and experience with WDS, MDT, SCCM, SCOM and maybe even something like DPM and Exchange, these are all products that you're likely to be exposed to in an Enterprise environment (and yes, I have exposure to them all but I sure as hell wouldn't call myself an Exchange guru).

By all means go do the MCITP:EA course but honestly can you hold your hand to your heart and say you have that level of experience in the Enterprise? Have you actually sat down and designed an AD, implemented it, troubleshooted it? Have you done the same with the various different deployment technologies? Management technologies? Messaging Technologies? As an Enterprise Administrator you're expected to know about them.

And as far as logos are concerned? personally I bin CV's with em on. Harsh maybe but the CV isn't the place for logos.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  20. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

well if your supporting cisco kit by way of telephone support no you don't. If your actually seting the hubs and switches up and making sure everything works then yes you do.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?