Customer Service on an IT Helpdesk

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Arroryn, Sep 20, 2007.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

I have seen various threads over the years in different forums, asking what people think of customer service, and how it should be approached.

This article is customer service as I see it, and it is the ethos I try to adopt every day in the workplace.

Okay I accept that you are not infallible – I certainly am not! Sticking to a particular ethos can be difficult, especially when you are ill, hungover, or simply have too much on your mind. But sticking to hard and fast personal rules that work, makes for an easier day than letting things erratically slip, and having irate clients bashing down your door.

This isn’t a service guide from a guru – it’s an article from someone who currently works in First Line support for a medium business with high demands. If you want to make amendments or comments, I am more than happy to receive them...

(please see attached PDF for full article)

I hope this is of assistance to anyone who cares to read it. I've ran out of ideas for articles now. So I'll go back to bothering the chickens :biggrin

Attached Files:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Another excellent contribution Arro 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Thanks, Blue :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Wise words of IT wisdom. :D

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  5. Waizer

Waizer New Member

really enjoyed reading that, not just because I am hoping to get into a job like that but because the humor was great :)

6. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Great post Arroryn.

I like to sum it up as 'treat others how we like to be treated ourselves' and 'through helping others we help ourselves'.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  7. Alex Wright

Alex Wright Megabyte Poster

Arroryn - a fantastic post! And I think a lot of the principles you've mentioned can be applied to other walks of life, not just to people working in First Line IT support.

Reputation has been deservedly given. :)

Certifications: 70-680 Configuring Windows 7
    WIP: 70-642
  8. dwhyte85

dwhyte85 Nibble Poster

Great set of guidelines/principals, it's not easy to follow as you've already said, I think it's alot easier to adhere to these sort of guidelines when you are working towards a goal, eg, you want certs or want to get a pay rise/promotion otherwise it can be very, very hard to keep up a good level of customer service! Let's face it, ideally we all want to be in better positions in our work!

Certifications: Bsc. Comp Sci, MCP, MCTS, MCSA, CCENT, MBCS
    WIP: ICND 2, CEH and converting MCSA to MCITP: Enterprise Administrator