Curing boredom??

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by zxspectrum, Jun 23, 2011.

1. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Been thinking about this a lot really, and even though im confident in pc repairing, i know i need as much experience as possible. Now i was thinking of advertising locally to do repairs etc, but instead of charging people, it would be up to them if they wanted to pay me, i have the time on my hands, so maybe its a good idea??

Obviously they would pay for all their parts and software, just wondering if its a good idea?? Id have a different number from my personal phone and a separate email. also id make sure the person would bring the pc to me.

Good idea, or plain stupid, and any other pitfalls i should consider??

ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  2. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I'm not sure...
    We've seen a lot of that of late with retaurants etc.
    I can see it leading to some awkward moments though.
    Is anyone going to actually know what a going rate for a tech is? Otherwise you're going to find yourself short more often than you are over.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  3. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I'd have them pay, hourly going rate for some places near me are around £30-40 - when i did repairs i charge a rate of £25/hour for first 2 hours work, then £20 an hour after that.

No need to do it for free, people will pay to get their computers repaired

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

no one will pay if they have the choice.

£20-£40 per hour sounds about right unless its a big job then you could charge a flat fee.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

A lot of people will still pay when they are given the choice to pay or not for a service and by offering to do it for free he is putting himself ahead of the competition and will stand out more.

Certifications: A few.
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I dont think they would not in this current economic climate. I wouldn't pay for something if I could get it for free regardless of what it was.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

To be honest, i get both points of GBL and rob. As im struggling to get a job, work experience is all ill have, and if i document what im doing then i can show that to an employer. Moneys not important, not yet anyway.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  8. funkymrmagic

funkymrmagic New Member

I know you're not looking to charge now, but might you want to charge in the future?

Imagine that blokey #1 comes to you with a job tomorrow that end up doing for nothing. A few weeks down the line, you've been doing well and decide to charge for your time. Blokey #2 comes to you, after a recommendation from his mate blokey #1 and you tell him that the job is going to cost him about £80. "£80!", he says, "but you did the same thing for my mate for nothing. What a con, I'm off to find me someone cheaper!"

Regardless of your experience, your time is still worth something. The easiest way to end up hating something that you used to love is to do it for nothing, as people attach a value to everything appropriate to what it costs them. If it costs them bob-all, then guess how much they're going to value your work?

Certifications: CCNA, CCDA, CCNP, CCSA R65/R70/R71, TIGER Scheme QST
    WIP: TIGER Scheme Senior Tester, CCSE R71
  9. mcrilly

mcrilly Byte Poster

I would have to agree with the points made above - you don't have to do it for free, so do it on the cheap.

Find out the going rates in your area, work out an average ( (£Rate + £Rate + £Rate + £Rate) / 4 = £Average ) and half it or maybe only charge a third of it, but don't do it for free. As previously suggested your time is worth something; your knowledge is worth something too. You also have to consider that a lot of people consider free to also correspond to tacky/poor.

Another issue is liability and the potential for being sued. Are you going to take out insurance that covers you incase you do or say something that offends or places someone at a disadvantage because of your services? Seriously, give it a thought.

Certifications: CCENT
    WIP: CCNA, RHCE, & VCP