CTT (Computer Technology Training) of Kings Cross, London.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by The Cuban Linx, Aug 20, 2010.

1. The Cuban Linx

The Cuban Linx New Member

Hi everybody.

Im abit new here so apologies for being an amateur. Has anyone ever heard of a training provider named CTT (Computer Technology Training) of Kings Cross in London? I think that they are no longer trading from what i've seen. Just would like to know everyone elses experiences, both bad and good with that training provider. Did an MCSE course with them for Windows 2000/2003 about 5 years back. I completed the couse months later.
    My only real complaint is job hunting at the end of the course. They never really helped with that. All they did was help you produce a CV that has to be IT related, list qulifications of an IT nature, etc. Just me, myself and I searching for suitable jobs via the net, newsapapers, etc. No actual help in securing that IT job. They just take your money, you do the exams, the lessons with the theory/the practical lab work. Thats it.

Certifications: MCP/MCSA/MCSE in Windows 2000/2003
  2. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

How much did you pay for the course and dare I say it promised you job guarentee?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

SELECT * FROM forums WHERE content LIKE 'training provider%'

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. The Cuban Linx

They did promise help and support with finding work. Paid 5.5k for the couse in total (including books, course materials, lessons, exam fees) They made me take a career delevopment loan with the Cooperative bank. Ended up paying back loan (with interest) 6700 approx which finished early this year.
    As I have got a young son to support, after months job hunting, ended up doing temp work within a warehouse as a fork lift truck driver just to pay the bills.

5. toshiba145

toshiba145 Nibble Poster

thats a lot for mcse.

Certifications: A+, CCNA
    WIP: MCITP
  6. The Cuban Linx

Bearing in mind that was 5 years ago. I was young and eager (still am 8)) to break into IT. You think that was alot and I paid over the odds? I notice that when taking the mcp exams they cost between 88-90 pounds. I did shop around prior to taking the course. I saw recently that some firms/training providers offer an mcse for around 2 grand

7. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I do feel for you as it clear you been conned big time and you must be spitting tache. :x:x You are an example for other to stay well clear of IT Training Providers as there is no job guarantee and take the self study or local college route.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

First, you didn't need to use a training provider at all. You can self study for most certification exams, including those for the MCSE. So, yes, you paid way too much. But there's no sense in kicking yourself for it... what's done is done.

Second, you've been sold something that you never should have been sold. The MCSE is a certification designed for people with a year or more of server administration experience - not just a year in IT, but a year administering servers in a multi-site, multi-server domain environment.

Unfortunately, that MCSE won't be very helpful in getting you a start in IT. The MCSE doesn't relate to entry-level positions, and jobs that DO relate to the MCSE are given to people with experience.

What I would recommend is to pursue some solid entry-level certifications, such as the A+, Network+, and MCDST. These certifications relate to what an entry-level tech would be asked to do in a real-world position.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'm as likely to slag off training providers as many others here but apart from this outfit not providing a huge amount of job hunting help and selling a just starting tech an MCSE course which is a fair way beyond your experience level they don't actually seem as ****e as many we see mentioned on here.

If I understand it right you were provided with training materials and tuition which helped you complete the course in a fairly timely fashion, provide the materials weren't a big pile of braindumps your better off than many for your six and a half grand. Yes that price is steep and its possible to pass the MCSE while spending a hell of a lot less money but at least you got something for your money!

At the moment you need to look at helping your chances in a what is a buyers economy so I'd look at picking up the MCDST and any experience (whether paid or unpaid) you can get to help make your CV look more appetising to hiring managers. An MCSE with no experience to back it up isn't likely to get you a job I'm afraid.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  10. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

If they're no longer trading, I'm not sure what purpose this thread serves... :blink

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  11. The Cuban Linx

I never said they are no longer trading. I mentioned that it may be a possibility as their website appears to be shut down and the offices they were based at, reception says they are no longer there.
    The reasons I posted this in the 1st place are to see if there are people who used to deal with them, to see if anyone has ever heard of them, their experiences good or bad with not only that same training provider but others, and to see if anyone out there maybe in the same boat as myself. So this thread does serve a purpose after all. Thats it.

12. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Did too!

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  13. The Cuban Linx

Im just fortunate I was charged 5.5 grand as oppose to the 10 grand approx that some IT training providers around London and the surrounding areas charge. Not mentioning any names. On a plus side Im an MCSE. Bottom line

14. The Cuban Linx

@ Jonny MX
    With regards to what you assume is different from facts. When I walked passed the building they may still or may not be located at, it seemed deserted, hence why I stated the term "I think" on the previous post I made. Couldn't really tell from looking outside as they are based on the 1st floor.
    One other thing Im just fortunate I was charged 5.5 grand as oppose to the 10 grand approx that some IT training providers around London and the surrounding areas charge. Not mentioning any names. On a plus side Im an MCSE. Bottom line.

15. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Removed duplicate thread as requested.

But really, is there any real need to drag up a post that was last active over 12 months ago.

That and to have a pop as well. Come on.

Johnny is you read this reply or not but there really isn'y much point. In fact I'll close this in a day or so, as it's really not worth the effort.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong