cTcollege

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Nellodean, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Nellodean

Nellodean New Member

Hello,
    This is my 1st thread so ch ch ch check this out..............:dry
    I'm having massive problems with cTc (The Computer Training College) and was wondering if there are others in the same situation?
    -Poor communication
    -Out of date study manuals
    -1 Useless Training day in 1 year
    -Repeating on-line exam questions

ECT ETC

???? anyone ???

WIP: A+
  2. scuzzy

scuzzy New Member

I joined a little while ago. Took them 2 months nearly to get my coursework, and when I got it, it was
    a) the wrong course, and
    b) like 25 pages of a5 photocopied notes.

It was a complete letdown, now the problem I'm having is I have a financial contract with Hitachi limited, and I'm finidng out what I can do to get my money back.
    I've got the correct number for them, and I just need to find out what my options are.

Daine

3. Nellodean

Nellodean New Member

Hi,
    Ye i think i have the same financial contract.
    Ive been to trading standards and they told me to write a letter explaining the services im not receiving etc
    Its crazy that they've been to court for similar offences but they still keep doing it. Every time i call to chase up emails i've sent my tutor tells me that the server has been down!!! Its been down for a whole year then.

4. Urbanpoet

Urbanpoet New Member

What course are you guys doing? I've been trying to find fault with them but I really can't, the course material seems to be fine, my questions are answered promptly and to an acceptable level. It's a shame really, I've been trying to get out of it but I can't legally. The price is the only problem I have, but you live and learn.

I signed up for A+ and N+ but I will be canceling the N+ (no matter what they say!). Self-study for the win...

Tom

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  5. Nellodean

Nellodean New Member

Hiya Tom
    Ive paid £2800 for A+, N+ & MCSA. Im still having massive problems organising a training day it has been going on now for almost 2 months. They dont return emails and when i call they say they'll get it sorted but nothing happens.

Has any one had success in court yet?

6. Urbanpoet

Urbanpoet New Member

Would the lack of available training days constitute a breach of contract? I hope so, although I can't find anything that directly relates to training days in the contracts I have.

There is one line in the contract that brings some hope, it relates to the Consumer Credit Act 1974: "If you received unsatisfactory goods or services paid for under this Agreement you may have a right to sue the supplier, us or both."

What exactly "unsatisfactory goods or services" legally entails I'm not sure. Maybe could be worth a punt in court if you're finding it hard to get what you paid for.

And I agreed to pay £2250 for A+ and N+. I am a mug :dry

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hiya mate they've probably realised that they shouldn't be teaching you MCSA untill you been working IT for at least 6months - 1 year

Good luck getting your money back cos you'll need it

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Im sure they're already well aware of that, its my opinion that these kind of companies will "teach" anything to anyone as long as they get there money. Its unfortunate that you did research your options better, you may have not found yourself in your current situation. Nevermind, live and learn!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  9. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yep agreed, fortunatley I asked on here 1st before signing up for anything.

Although I was only going to do an A+ course still saved me a few hundred quid :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  10. JackFlash

JackFlash New Member

please do contact Me guys. Im having the same problem with this college as u. Perhaps as a group we would be able to do more about the matter. Because it’s driving me nuts every month when I have to pay them. Perhaps we could take the company to court as a group also?

11. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

Yes guys seems we all are deep in chocolate :)
    I have the same problems and even more and the guys I met in training are not happy too.
    I chosen Web Design course it contains I-Net+, Dreamweaver and Flash. I agreed to pay 2700 pounds.
    -Old material
    -Course adviser liar
    -Dreamweaver just intoductional course it is just for beginners not enough to be certified for sure (think same things will be with Flash).
    -Tutor is not polite
    -Tutor is not answering on the questions about course due the email
    -Bad communication
    -Always excuses
    -Restricting my studies
    -Problems with online tests always need retake
    - Just one training in more then 1 year (trainer is not competent enough)
    - In trainings groups are in different level of knowledge, place is not suitable and in cheap bad&breakfast room.
    -Problems with getting next material after each online test
    And much more I have much what to say I have written a letter about 4 pages about how the things are going wrong. If some1 will be cluster for a court pls inform me. They really drive me crazy. If someone already get them to the court before please tell how it was? Does anyone know how much will cost the court if we loose? I’m thinking I’m paying money for nothing! In internet is much better material for free.

Certifications: CompTIA I-Net+, ACE dreamweaver cs3
    WIP: Macromedia Flash, Photoshop.
  12. alcapone

alcapone Bit Poster

Hi guys seems we are all in the same boat!!!

I have problems with this college too. I started a bit more then 1 year ago when come course adviser he twitter very nice how much they care about the students and what a “good” “college” it is that I will get the training day straight after each part of the course and the training place will by very close to the place I live, and that they will supply all material I need and that they will write the CV and find me the job after I will finish my studies. After few ours of discussing with him I decide to try it. I have chosen the Web Design course, which contains of I-Net+, Dreamweaver and Flash. I agreed to pay for it 2700 pounds and signed the contract. Before curse adviser left he brought me the bag with my first part of my course material and told do not start studying while I will contact my tutor and because it was nearly x-mas time all college will go for a holiday and will come back just after New Year. So about 10 of January 2007 I contact my tutor and he just said read the book. L So at this time I didn’t understood why course adviser told me to wait. I start studying and realize that the material is old the book was written in 2000. I think that it is just my consideration that course adviser just wish me to wait while time for canceling the contract will over. What ever I decide to continue.

From beginning this college start drive me crazy, when I was trying to call the tutor he usually somewhere in break or on holidays, when the person who substitute him promise something he depart from his word. Since I start from the first online test they don’t se the results by justifying it that the site was under construction so I needed to retake it. The problem is that you are waiting for the next manual without realizing that they don’t even “know” about that you already done the test. So after first one as soon as I had the problems with the first test I start calling my tutor to make sure or he can see that I passed the test or not. But you can imagine when I’m trying to contact my tutor he is as usually anywhere but jut not in the place where he should be and for what I’m paying money every month. So 2 times I need to wait while “Mr. tutor “vouchsafe” come back because person covering him can’t help me and I need to wait while my tutor will return. So I need to waste my time while such a things will be sorted out.

If I knew what a mug I am :( to trust the first college I find and specially to course adviser who talking anything he likes with out any conscience about something. Off course he is getting played for each new student he brings to the college.
    Since I start studying I finish 7 manuals of 10 and had only 1 training day and the place was not really best suited for me in some kind of room in bed&breakfast or motel. I met other 2 students of course they are not happy with how the things are going with the college as well and even the teacher who was making the training feel sorry about what is going on with our studies he said us that he never met anyone face to face from these guys and actually he was not so competent too when I asked some things from the book which I didn’t understand well he couldn’t answer me. And some of the things he was explaining to us were not from the course, which we are studying. One student after the training told me that it was his second training and he was listening the same thing second time so college doesn’t even can schedule the trainings for the students with the same level. Some things I didn’t understand also because they were in the next manual, which I didn’t get yet. After one more time they offer me the same place for my training day but I didn’t accept it.

I get certified for I-Net+ I passed public exam on excellent but not because of the manuals, which they are sending but because I used a lot of material beyond the scope of these books they offer. And also think this certificate will be useless cause this exam is retired now. To be honest with you some of the questions even on the ctcollege online test are not touched in these books. And there is book for sale it cost about 10 pounds in Amazon web site, which is very similar to material they are sending if not the same, and the pictures are identical. So 5 of 7 times they didn’t see my online test results and the 4th final of I-Net+ test I did 2 times and they still don’t see it. When I start argue about it tutor said that he will sort it out everything and send me next manual. Even now when I’m loging in my account on ctc my final I-Net+ test is not past so you see how the things are getting sorted out here :D but I am already certified and made all Dreamweaver course which they offer.

You think that is it? L If I-Net+ let’s say was something like course Dreamweaver is what they call course is just the introduction with the program after this course I don’t think that you will get the job as a professional but course adviser said this is full course. And the online tests are just comic first test 15 questions and the other 2 tests 8 question each. After that you can discuss with your tutor about the public exam as written in the brochure, which course adviser left. Wahahaha!!! In these books they don’t write anything about more then half things, which you will need on exam. And other half is just touched with no deep understanding what it is. This course is more likely just to know some of the buttons and very few functions of this program. I think u can find more info about the program in its original manual. I get much better tutorials on Internet for free. Once tutor start shouting on me that if he doesn’t see the result that means that I didn’t done the online test so it means I’m lying that time he really tried my passion. I made that stupid test 8 of 8! So I took the photo camera sit by the computer and pasted it again with making pictures of each question and made picture of the last result 8 of 8 again :twisted: I called him again after 15 min. from our last conversation, strange how I catch him in the place in the same day 2 times and he was lucky that this time he saw my results.

After that my problems wont finished yet. Before he said that he would send me the next manual it should be the first book of Flash. I don’t think that this course will be something better then Dreamweavers after he was absent don’t really remember for what reason but after about 2 weeks (because was post office strike so I was thinking that is the reason why my next manual stuck but no) when I didn’t catch him next time of course I tried few times and of course his cover person again promise to send me the next book I wrote him the email with some requests. And what you think now he send me the email that I need to do a final task to crate a web site for the company bla bla bla… Damn what is wrong with these people and this is 40 years of experience in IT!!! Ok I spend hours to make the site I made really nice fully optimized, dynamic site of 25 pages with swap class navigation buttons with music player using Css techniques for different browsers compatibility with 2 different style sheets one for old browsers one for resent browsers with flash and 3D dynamic images. Of course the is some mistakes but that’s why I am studying. And to be honest with you with the manual they are offer you can’t make the website on your own even if they are saying that you don’t need any previous knowledge to do that course. So how you can make lets say some navigation buttons or any other graphical things where you need to use some kind of painting program. Ok I know some programs and how to work with them but what to do for the people who don’t know if the college offering that you don’t need previous experience in anything. How they will make the site and how tutor saying, “Extra credit will be given for a designed logo for the company” What extra credit what logo what they are asking about if they don’t teach that lol!!!

My extra credit was that this time he didn’t get my email with created web site from the first time but it is impossible because in my email the massage is in send folder and I didn’t get any errors from the server about delivery problems. So my extra credit was like this :biggrin when I send him the email and email was with explanations how to make some things to change the appearance and with some questions about how to make some things which I tried to do but with no luck and after all at last he find it and said that the site will be checked and I will be informed. The second mail, which he got, was send in the beginning of December. :/ I forgot to say one more important thing, which drives me crazy a lot before tutor gave me to make a web site (and I don’t think it was necessary) on one of phone conversation I don’t remember with him or with his cover person was said that: “anyway we don’t have the material for my next course at the moment so I will need to wait…” I don’t know what to say… This is private college and I am not working more then 1 year, I was working hard (sweating till blood) in the building sites to save the money for the studies and for the living while I’m studying (house, rent, food) and they don’t have material at the moment… !!! :dry Damn what a scoop I was…

And my problems are not finished yet after few days he get the web site I created I contact him about the next manual and about the details where I can pass a public exam of Dreamweaver he asked why do I need to pass the public exam college will give me the certificate lol lol lol who will take you at work with this certificate and what you will know about Dreamweaver from this books they are offer and I don’t think that someone can be competent enough to get a job and to do it right after few little books with examples where even basic things are poorly explained!!! I said that I need a real one with which I will be able to work anywhere and not just in UK and that this certificate is useless (I don’t think that someone will give me the job even here I UK) who will take me at work with the peace of paper your will give me. (And it was the second time I was telling him that, cause it was the same thing with I- Net+ and also they agree to pay for my exam fees but tutor said that they can’t pay for exam fee- I have to pay for it and send them the copy of exam payment and all what they can to do is: they will not take the money for 2 months for college contributions which I’m paying them every month. After they get the receipt of my payment I realize that the many are taken from my account continuously L After I wrote them an email I get an answer: “I can confirm that your exam fee payments have been deducted from the end of your payment schedule. Monthly payments will continue as normal.” What is that? Is it normal? L ) I need to pass the public exam to proof my knowledge as a professional web designer. He said that everything would be posted to me.

After about 1 week I contact the tutor again and strange that last times I can catch him at once :p he said that the material was posted to me 1 week before L … It was nearly the Christmas time and of course time for college holidays too. But you know what? If the next manual have been send to me why then I logon on my account on ctc web site I’m still on the part which I passed long long time ago so I think that he is lying to me. I wasn’t so naive this time to believe that the post was very busy or what ever, he just didn’t want to do because of Christmas and I think could be one more reason that I can finish the full course before I will make all payments because without all restrictions they are doing to me my full course have been finished in about 9-10 moths for sure. They afraid that I will finish the course quicker then they will get the money I owned them and I will cancel the payments. It is just my thinking of course. And they don’t care about nothing but their money, once I get letter from them that if I will pay all money to them a once their will make me discount of 15% wahaha!!! And after forget about ctc forever!!! Till now I still waiting for my manual thank God I got Internet where I can find a lot of material to keep my self busy on studying. So my book is still on the way. And I still have another 3 books to finish my studies with this “great” college. I don’t now what to expect next from them because I don’t think that all problems is over. They really drive me crazy. Every day I thinking why I need to choose exactly this college probably I’m mad, and why when I choose to do something important in my life for a better future should happen like this. :O It is very hard to studying for me cause I’m from different country and my nature language isn’t English and even when I with clenched teeth studying and hoping to get something better in my life and in my estimation doing everything right should happen like this. This is not right and even when you have some questions your tutor not answering them so tell me what I paying all these money to them. For some black and white books which worth nothing and for online tests which I will need to pass several times because they can not see my results. And I need to keep calling them to make sure or things are going right or wrong and after all when I hardly catching person who should be polite with me and try to help me start to shout on me this is what I’m paying money for. I tell you what- these guys are sitting in worm place and don’t care about anything except about time when they will need to go for a breakfast and for the lunch and when will come the minute when will be the time to end the job and time to go at home. What are between these needs during brakes they are doing everything perfunctorily and without any consideration.

If my tutor will read this letter he will understand who is writing this letter but I don’t really care cause I didn’t expect anything good from him and from this college in all. It just very sore that the things are as it is.

So guys you are not alone!!! I’m tired of all these things that’s why I wrote so widely about my problems if someone reading this letter to make decision about this college make your opinion by your selves.

And guys you know what I think that they don’t want to give the details of public exam because there is no chance to pass it with the level of knowledge of the course material they are offer. But what ever I know where to pass public exam without them anyway. And anyway I prepared well to pass it cause I read 3 big courses about Dreamweaver one 300 pages second 650 pages, third 1260 pages I made several tutorials much wider then they are offering and made some tests also and all of these things I find and download from Internet for free.

So as I said I don’t expect lot from the Flash course. And I don’t think that I will get anything more from this college except the useless peace of paper, no job as adviser promise, no CV…, and no training days as I expect L And without my struggle to learn full course from other sources I don’t think that I will get a job. I still need to learn a lot.

I could write more but I think no one read even that much and I’m not sure that forum allow me to place such a big article so I will finish. :rolleyes: Hope you guys had, have and will have less problems then I had but if someone will try to go to court please don’t hesitate to contact me course it shouldn’t be like this with us and with people who will get in the same situation after us.

Updated 06 02 08 Next Monday I’m going to Citizen Advice Bureau to see how they can help me. College stop answering to my emails at all and I’m not going to wait any longer or trying to call them and deteriorate my nerves. I will let you know how was everything.

Wish you all luck. And my suggestion is self-studding don’t waste your money they will need you. :D

P.S. sorry for mistakes

Certifications: CompTIA I-Net+, ACE dreamweaver cs3
    WIP: Macromedia Flash, Photoshop.
  13. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

holly crap that's a long posts. You might want to add the occassional page break to make it easier on the eyes.

14. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi there,

I read your whole thread, though it was hard work! :blink

Just looking them up on Google to see what else I can find out about them, have you read this thread? http://www.certforums.co.uk/forums/lastpostinthread193996.html - very 'interesting' that they went into administration (i.e. went bankrupt) a few months yet are still trading.

I'll look around a bit more, and I'll ask my smoking buddy at work tomorrow if she's got any advice - she's very quick to complain if she's treated as less than a princess! :dry

Out of curiosity - to you and to the past posters - isn't cancelling your payments an option? So long as they're receiving your money, they're ignoring you, and as you aren't receiving the service/goods/training you're paying for anyway... they'll be your bestest friend (or have a very very hard time in court) :x

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  15. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

16. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

Fantastic advice Harpistic! Couldn't have said it better myself. Trading standards and citizens advice are definately good options and for the people suggesting doing a group suing, I'd recommend it if you can do it.

As for the content you need to learn, I do suggest for those that find it easy enough to keep self motivated seriously, just do it using online sources and books. There's loads of great recommendations of sites and authors etc. on here and the administrators are really helpful with this too.

If however you find it hard to keep motivated the from a purely personal viewpoint (This is not the opinion of the CF Forum) I recommend Skillstrain/Sheidegger. My best friend has done the A+ & N+ through them and is the one that suggested I use them - and am extremely happy with how my course is going also.

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  17. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sorry alcapone and anyone else that post extremely long posts, could you break them up into seperate posts, far easier to read. I tend to just skip such long posts, even if they contain valid information, points etc..

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  18. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Thanks! :biggrin (Haha, there's an ad on TV for Joskos right now :blink)

Here's a little more info about CTC... !

I actually came across some negative reviews last night on Scheidegger while looking up CTC - http://www.ciao.co.uk/Reviews/Scheidegger__22656 and elsewhere - but the CF members with Skillstrain seem to be happy with them - phew! :biggrin

19. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

Lol yeah I read those reviews too. I've seen more positive ones than negative ones though. I think the negative ones are kinda like the negative ones the company I CURRENTLY work for gets, It's usually the tards (customers) who don't know how to manage their accounts properly who gripe n moan about us, the ones that do know how to never complain. I think it MAY be the same with Schiedegger - just a personal viewpoint, although don't get me wrong human error from staff can aggitate things like that.

I have no doubt whatsoever though that this CTC company are the ones at fault and not the students :biggrin

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  20. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Yeah, I agree with you - the complaints about Schiedegger were pretty sparse and mostly historical, whereas CTC seem to have a wonderful track recond of treating their students consistently badly - from what the reports say!

Hmm, from what you say, sounds like there needs to be a basic intelligence test to become a student? :tune