Crossover cables

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by law123, Feb 24, 2005.

  1. law123

    law123 Byte Poster

    I am wondering can a crossover cable be used for connecting 2 computers to the internet. By using 2 NIC cards in 1 and 1 NIC card in the other. The one with 2 cards one card connected to a cable modem the other using the cross over cable connecting to the other computer. I have heard conflicting comments on this. My local P.C. shop gave me the idea and I have also seen something about it in Mike Myers A+ book. But a friend of mine who runs a small business doing repairs says no it is not possible. Has anyone tried this or have they got any info.
    Certifications: None
    WIP: A+
  2. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

    Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

    well yes it can, but for the configuration hassles it might cause (routing or Internet connection sharing), a 20quid 5 port switch or an even cheaper hub would be better i think
    Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  3. AJ

    AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

    What Phoenix said it can be done, think tried it once but it is much easier to plug everything into a router. At least then you don't have to have both machines on to access the internet :biggrin
    Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

    tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

    I agree with Phoenix. If we are just talking about two computers, a cheap hub is the easiest thing to use. Since switch prices have come down quite a bit, not to many places use hubs anymore so you should be able to pick one up for cheap.
    Certifications: A+ and Network+

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.